Chapter 41: Good Luck

Luke

I was curled up in my bed and it was only 8 pm. I had not long ago come back from Michael's house and didn't even have the energy to get changed into my pajamas.

I couldn't stop crying.

I couldn't believe we just broke up. I was feeling so much pain in my heart, and my body. I didn't know how long it would take me to stop feeling like this.

I buried my face into my pillow, trying to forget everything that had just happened, but it was impossible. It just made me hurt more.

"Stop crying", I muffled.

I sighed, running my fingers over my wrist, the arm that I put my bracelet on. No matter how much I didn't want to, I missed it being there.

Suddenly my door knocked.

I had to ignore it. I couldn't have my mom and dad see me like this, because they'd be nosy. Luckily, I managed to run upstairs with an excuse that I was tired so I didn't have to say hello properly.

I stayed quiet, but after a few seconds, the person behind the door spoke.

"Luke?"

I gasped, sitting up in my bed. It was my brother.

God, I didn't want him to see me this upset.

"Cody, go back to bed", I said, trying to hide the fact that I was crying.

"I can't sleep!"

I sighed, lying back down.

"Okay. Come in."

The door opened and my brother cheered, running inside happily, with a teddy bear in his hand.

He froze as he saw me in my bed, and looked at me curiously.

"Lukey, are you crying?"

"No", I cleared my throat, running my palms over my face. "No, I've just got something in my eye, see?", I began to wipe the corner of my eyes.

"But it looks like you're crying!"

I sniffed, staring at my smart brother. Who was I kidding? I couldn't lie to him. He could always know what I was feeling.

"Okay. I am, crying."

"Why?", he looked at me innocently.

"Because I'm sad."

"Why are you sad?"

I sighed. "If I tell you, you have to promise not to tell anyone, okay?"

He nodded. "Okay."

"Okay, come here", I lifted up my duvet, watching as my little brother climbed inside beside me.

I gulped, trying to calm myself as I felt the tears coming back.

"Cody, I-I'm crying because me and Michael aren't friends anymore."

"What? Why not? I thought Michael was your best friend?"

"He was. He was, but we fell out."

Cody pouted. "Oh."

I sniffed, covering my face with my hands. I didn't want him to see me like this.

Suddenly, I felt his small arms wrap around my body, and his head on my shoulder.

"Don't cry, Luke. I can be your best friend."

I smiled slightly, hugging him back.

"Thank you, Cody. I love you."

"I love you too."