Chapter 35: Enemy

Luke

It was a Wednesday at school, and the bell had just rung for home time. I was currently at my locker, sorting out which books I had to keep here or take home. It wasn't like I was gonna actually study, but my parents would question me if I came home with no textbooks.

"Luke Hemmings!"

I turned my head to see Ashton, racing towards me happily, and smiled.

"Ashton, hey!", I waved. "What's up?"

The curly-haired boy took a deep breath as he got to me, placing his hands on his knees.

"I just ran down six flights of stairs."

I snorted. "Why the rush?"

"It's home time!", he exclaimed, standing up straight.

I giggled, moving two books in my locker, to look for my science book.

"That's true. I can't wait to get out of here. How was Italian?"

Ashton cleared his throat, to signal he was about to speak. I raised an eyebrow in amusement as I looked at him.

"Ciao mi chiamo ashton e mi piacciono le suore."

I grinned.

"Did you just say hello my name is Ashton and I like nuns?"

"What? Shit! I meant to say I like girls!"

I chuckled, turning back to my locker. "Baby steps."

"Dude, I didn't know you knew Italian."

I shrugged. "Me either to be honest."

"Are you leaving now or waiting for Michael?"

I bit my lip in thought. "Actually, he's not answering his phone, right now. I think he's in his dad's office so I guess I'll wait a bit.", I got the books I needed and put them in my bag.

Ashton smirked, nodding his head.

"Oh, right. I'd wait for you guys, but my bus is in...", he checked his watch on his wrist. "Exactly six minutes."

I turned to him and raised an eyebrow.

"Wait, don't you have a car?"

He shook his head. "I did have a car. It's a long story. My dad taught me how to drive last year when..."

As Ashton was talking, I couldn't help but notice Michael's friend, well, ex-friend in the distance.

Calum. That was his name I believe. He was a few feet away, looking this way as if he wanted to come over.

I looked at Ashton again, trying to concentrate on what he was saying, but I could still see Calum at the corner of my eye.

"So I got a new car, and I passed my test, I got the license and everything! But the car my Dad's friend sold me started to play up. And my dad thought it was me, so he took the car away. Can you believe that?"

"N-no I can't", I looked back up to see Calum was still looking at us, with curious eyes. What did he want?

The curly-haired boy sighed in frustration.

"He thought I was the one who damaged the car. As if I can just damage a gearbox Dad! Anyway, so I-"

"Ashton, Ashton", I placed a hand on his shoulder. "That sounds super interesting but you're gonna miss your bus."

He gasped. "Oh, yes! My bus. Shit, I gotta go!"

"Yes, go!"

"Okay, thank you, Luke", he began to run away, before turning. "I'll see you later! And I'll finish the story."