Chapter 46: Welcome back

a/n: double update cuz why not :)

Michael

It was six days later, on a Monday morning.

Today, I was going back to school.

I had just brushed my teeth and was putting my uniform on. I stared at myself in the mirror, as I buttoned the white shirt up to my neck, noticing it wasn't as tight as before. I grabbed my tie, putting around my collar, messing up a few times. Then I fitted my blazer around my body, doing up the buttons.

It had felt so long since I had worn it, so long, I barely recognized myself.

"Michael! Are you ready to go?", my father called from downstairs.

"Yes!", I called back, before taking one last glance at the mirror. "I'm ready."

The drive to school was odd, peaceful. Although I was super nervous to go back, I was also kind of excited. It was healthy for me to get outside, and get back into a routine where I socialized with people every day.

Once we arrived, my dad parked up in his usual spot.

I took off my seatbelt, ready to go before he stopped me from leaving.

"Michael", he spoke.

I looked at him expectantly.

"Um", he smiled nervously. "I know it's taken you a lot to get out of the place you were in, over the last few weeks. And with everything else that we've discovered about you along the way."

I nodded slowly.

"I just want to say, I'm proud of you, son."

I half-smiled. "Thank you, Dad. Wouldn't have done it without you, and mom."

He squeezed my shoulder. "We'll always be here for you. Now, you have a great day at school, today okay? I'll meet you at lunch to see how you're getting on."

"Okay, sure", I agreed.

"Okay."

We both got out of the car and went our separate ways as he went to the teacher's entrance. I waved, looking at the building where students were already flooding in.

As I got closer, I looked up at the sign, that read "Saint Andrews school." and it almost felt nostalgic.

It was like my first day, all over again.

I nervously clutched my backpack straps as I walked inside, whilst everyone else rushed past me. It was so weird being back but in some way a relief.

I decided to make my way to my locker. I was only a few feet away when I heard a familiar voice call my name.

"Michael?!"

I immediately, turned around, looking for my curly-haired friend. Soon, I saw him clumsily making his way through the crowd of students.

His eyes widened as he saw me, and I couldn't help but grin widely.

"Michael! Michael Clifford!", he pushed his way past everyone. "Excuse you!" Soon my bubbly friend was by my side.

"Michael!", he cheered, welcoming me with hugging arms.

I laughed, something I hadn't done in days, as I hugged him back.

"Ashton, hey. It's so good to see yo-"

"I missed you so f-ing much bro! Like you have no idea! I couldn't stop thinking about you, in every class - science, math, or English and you know how much I love English, but it's like I couldn't love it because you weren't there!"