Chapter 18: Better without you

Michael

The fifth period was a weird time in school.  It was good because it meant we had one more lesson before home time, but it also sucked because it also dragged, especially when you just wanted to go home.

I took my time going to my next class, and leaned against a locker, watching as all the nerdy students rushed to their classes. Some of them looked at me judgementally, knowing I wasn't going to class. They were used to seeing me in the hallways.

I glared at a cheerleader as she watched me curiously.

"What?", I muttered, causing her to walk faster.

I chuckled to myself and stopped smiling as Calum walked past. He saw me but he pretended that he didn't, and continued to walk.

This was ridiculous. I had known Calum since I was in kindergarten. Was he really going to pretend that I didn't exist? I had to say something.

"Don't you think this is getting kind of stupid?", I said loud enough so he could hear.

He stopped in his tracks and turned around.

"What do you mean?"

Ugh. Of course he would pretend he had no idea what I was talking about. Classic calum.

"You, ignoring me. Us, not talking, it's stupid."

"Stupid how?"

"I get it. I suck at school, and you don't. You're smarter than me, is that what you wanna hear?"

He frowned.

"No, that is not what I wanna hear Michael."

"Then why?", I raised my voice. "Why do this, why pretend like I don't exist? It's lame, no, in fact, it's childish."

"Childish?"

I could tell I had got him mad. I looked around, seeing everyone had gone to their lessons.

"Yes."

"Oh, I'm childish? Me? I'm not the one who skips classes and argues with teachers, and copies homework. That's you, Michael."

"Oh, well done", I spat. "Well fucking done, Calum, you told me how bad I am! What do you want, a trophy?"

He scoffed and walked closer to me.

"You have no idea, do you, Michael?"

"No idea, about what? About how shit of a friend you are?"

"Oh don't you dare. Don't you dare say that. I am not a bad friend."

"Really Calum? Because I think you are. What other reason would there be for you ignoring me? Why would you stop our friendship for over ten years because of my reputation? Why the fuck would you do that?"

"Because I care about you, you idiot!", he said pushing me with his hands.

I gulped, my green eyes looking into his eyes as they became glossy.

"Because I fucking care okay? And it hurts every day to see my best friend wash himself, and his education down the drain. I can't stand it, Michael. You're barely in class, you never take tests, I don't even know if you're gonna graduate, Michael. Do you know how much that hurts me? To know that I won't be able to graduate with the boy I grew up with? Well, it-it fucking sucks okay.  So I'd rather not know you than be your friend and watch you fall beside me. So there's your answer. You wanna know why that's why."

And with that, he turned around and left, but before he could leave I spoke again.

"This is who I am", I spoke. "I can't help it if I'm this person."

Calum shook his head.

"You're not this person."

I shrugged.

"How do you know?"

He sighed, looking down at the floor.

"I just do. You've grown into someone you're not. Someone that I can't be around. Not anymore."

"Then-then maybe you're better of without me."

He shrugged.

"Maybe I am."

I gulped putting my hands in my pocket. If this was happening then so be it. At least we were making it official.

"I don't wanna bring your reputation down or whatever."

"Yeah."

I nodded. "Okay, so I'll stay away. I guess this is it?"

"I guess it is."

He smiled bitterly, looking me up and down before saying his last words.

"Goodbye, Michael."

Then he left. And this time I let him walk away, for good.

---

a/n: :( how sad

ily all.