Part 9: Encounters

"Could I get that one, papa?" Eri asked as she pointed to a bright red apple.

"Of course." He replied.

"I love candy apples."

Eri began to drool a little bit as she stared at the delectable apple inside the display case.

"We'll take one of the candy apples, please." Izuku stated to the bakery worker.

"One candy apple, coming right up!" The worker reached in and grabbed the biggest candy apple she could find.

"Here you go, sweetheart."

The worker smiled at Eri as she leaned over the counter to hand her the apple. Eri gratefully took it and began to move it towards her mouth until something caught her eye.

"Is she.. flirting with papa? Momma would have something to say, but she's waiting in the car."

"You know, you're my favorite hero, Deku. Mind if I get an autograph and maybe a picture?"

The worker blushed and smiled at him as she held out a receipt for him to sign.

Izuku stuttered. "U-Uh. Sure?"

He signed his name on the receipt and posed for the picture. To his surprise, the worker got a little too close to him. He uncomfortably smiled, and right before the worker was able to capture the moment, Eri stepped in.

"Okay, listen, lady. My momma's not here or else she'd have a word with you. But you better back it up before I hit you in the head with this apple." Eri threatened the worker as she aggressively took another bite out of her treat.

Izuku and the worker were flustered.

"O-oh! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean it like that!" The worker frantically shouted.

Izuku was dumbfounded. "I'm so sorry.. She doesn't typically act like that." He explained to the worker before glancing down in disbelief at Eri who had kept her glare focused on the worker.

"Let's go, Eri." Izuku stated as he reached for her hand. 

"Izuku Midoriya?"

They heard a voice call out to them.

"I swear, if this is that flirty worker lady, this apple is fixing to go right on top of her hea—"

Eri stopped her thought as she turned around and recognized who it was.

"Mandalay? Kota?"

"Oh! Mandalay! Kota!" How have you two been?" Izuku asked with a smile on his face, forgetting momentarily about Eri's behavior.

"We've been great! Kota wanted to come here to grab something sweet. I guess that's what happens when the season changes. Everyone raves about this place's candy apples, so here we are."

Mandalay looked down at Kota who was being surprisingly shy for once.

"Kota? You remember Eri, don't you?" She asked as she nudged him to say hello.

"Y-yeah. She goes to my school.."

Kota wouldn't make eye contact with Eri, causing Mandalay to become slightly annoyed.

"I'm sorry about him. He's acting so weird all of a sudden." She chuckled nervously.

Izuku raised an eyebrow.

"Uh huh." He stated while glancing curiously at Kota.

"Well, it was great to see you guys, but we've got to go. Take care!" Mandalay guided Kota out the door as they headed to her car.