Part 10: Tenjin Matsuri (Part 1)

Author's Note: Matsuri—Japanese for "festival or holiday". There are several matsuri planned throughout the year. They can be in different seasons and have different events and purposes. For this story, I've chosen one that typically is in the summer, but let's pretend it's in the fall. Enjoy!

"Okay, class. Before the bell, will you all be attending the Tenjin Matsuri next weekend in Osaka?" The teacher asked his students.

He noticed that several nodded in reply to his question except for Kota who was doodling in a notebook.

"Kota?" The teacher asked. "Are you not going to attend the matsuri?"

Kota snapped out of his daydream once he felt a classmate hovering over his shoulder. He glanced down at his drawing of what was supposed to be two people holding hands while riding in a boat.

"Hey, who's that supposed to be?" A classmate teased as he peaked at the drawing.

Kota's face blushed a bright pink color as he immediately closed his notebook.

"N-no one!" He stuttered.

"Class dismissed."

Thankfully, Kota was saved by his teacher and the bell. He was so flustered that he made a mad dash out the door, and he wasn't watching where he was going.

"Oof!"

As if it were in his subconscious, Kota immediately reached out for the person's hand that he had just crashed into, enabling him to pull them up before they fell.

"I-I'm so sorry!" Kota stuttered as he closed his eyes tightly.

"It's okay. I wasn't watching where I was going." Kota opened his eyes.

"E-Eri?" There stood Eri smiling sweetly at him.

His face began to flush bright pink again and it did even more so once he realized he still had a hold of her hand.

"S-sorry!" He said nervously as he let go. Eri reached down to pick up his notebook.

"Here. You dropped this." She picked up the notebook and handed it to Kota.

"Beautiful drawing by the way. Is that a couple at the Tenjin Matsuri? I saw them sitting in that boat. That's so sweet. Who is it supposed to be?" She inquired.

"N-no one! I gotta go!" With that, Kota clenched his notebook and took off out the front door, leaving Eri bewildered.

"Oooh-Kay. That was weird." She thought to herself.

—————

Once Eri had arrived home, she was greeted with loving hugs from her parents.

"Eri, come with me." Ochako stated as she grabbed her hand and led her into she and Izuku's bedroom.

"Here. Try this on." She held up a beautiful handmade pink kimono that had elaborate flowers decorating it.

"Wow!" Eri couldn't stop examining every detail of the kimono.

"Your Grandma Inko made it for you to wear next weekend at the matsuri. Do you like it?" Ochako asked with a giggle.

"I love it!" Eri accepted the kimono from Ochako and raced to the bathroom to change into it.

—————

"You look so pretty, Eri!" Ochako complimented as Eri twirled around in her new clothes.

"You look just like a princess."

"And you're the queen, mama." Eri giggled as she embraced her mother.