Dassyu Raja

Mrinu felt a strange connect with the shy innocent girl. She was so soft and lost. Mrinu while growing up at least had her BukkuDa to share things with.. he had always taken care of her... listened to her blabberings... but Nilu seems like someone who has grown up keeping her thoughts to herself with no one to share them with.

Byom was travelling, in a few days when he came home one night suddenly and wanted to surprise everyone... Mimi was sitting near the fireplace and some girl was telling her story... Mimi was listening to the story with big round eyes and Pupli was also there.... Wonder of wonders Tupak the Addabaaz was also equally enthralled by the story. Tupak his younger brother was a proper ladies man and enjoyed a greater social life... Tupak being at Mimi's room at this hour of the night was definitely a big thing...

Nilu: Durga's hands and feet were tied... and made to sit on the pyre along with her 72 year old dead body of her husband of last night. Durga was 11 years old still drowsy with lack of sleep. Her Kuleen Brahman dead husband held no interest for her but when they lit the pyre, she started to scream and cry, but her Mama stood there head bowed and quietly crying. And just then came Abul Khan's army.... The Dassyu Raja's army. They took out big shiny swords and the Dassyu Raja screamed...

"Agar kisine ek bar palak bhi jhapkayi toh uska sar dhar se alag kar diya jayega..."

Durga was scared too...but the fire scared her more. She cried out loud once the fire caught her new banarasi saree's anchal... Immediately Abul turned towards her and picked her up in front of him on his horse and started towards the pond near the ghat...

And then she turned to look at something at her back to see... Byom standing with his body weight inclined towards the side of the door and looking intently at Nilu...

Byom: Aur phir kya hua?

In the half light and half shadow on his visage, with his stubble well in place due to long travel and mussed up hair.... He looked nothing less than the protagonist of her story

Nilu inhaled sharply and then immediately got up from the small stool she was sitting on near Mrinu's feet.... She went and stood beside the big fireplace so that her face and most of the body was shrouded in darkness.

She murmured under her trembling breath, "Dassyu Raja"...(The Dacoit King)