Day 16. Salt Lines

Halloween had struck once more as I moved along the house feeling my older brother behind me. "Halloween is fun until the veils weaken." He murmured. "I know Jagger." I mumbled looking at the salt in my hand. It was plain store bought salt, we were far from rich.

Jagger had raw sea salt that he would grind up. Being hunters made us big targets for spirits, whether it be victims who wanted us to get revenge, crazed spirits of murderers looking to continue it or the ones we had put down. We had to stay prepared.

And salt was the best way to go. So going through each window and doorway we poured it in salt creating a barrier between the spirits outside and our house. They couldn't cross it and the salt being in our house caused them to not be able to use any other supernatural forces either.

We continued going before reaching the main room in our old creaky mansion where mom stood as Jagger went up and lit the sage in the bowl letting it burn as a few other spices were lit. The lack of father this year was disturbing and reminded why we must keep safe.

No more accidents. . .

There wouldn't be one of those again under our watch. With the lavender, sage and all the other warders burning and salt we settled down. "We only have to make it through the night." Mom spoke as Jagger looked at the shotgun that was out.

Ghosts couldn't be killed only released. But the shells were full of salt which would send them away before they reappeared. It gave us time to prepare or lock us in a circle of salt. "All the windows are salted?" Mom asked as we felt the air chill as I looked outside.

The first spirit had spawned, the air was cold signaling more would come. Father had fallen but we would not. "Yes." I responded. "Even the attic." Jagger and I went deathly still at the mention of the attic as we heard a window slam and heavy footfalls.

"We forget to shut the window and salt the window."

354. I like this one cause' of the cliffhanger. One more and then I'm done for the day.

 One more and then I'm done for the day