Chapter 23

Tris POV

Friday

I unlocked my front door, and pace into my house. I see my mom mopping in the kitchen.

"Hi mom," I state.

"Hi Tris, how was school?" I hear her ask as I start to walk upstairs. How was school? It was shitty.

I'm still accused of being pregnant, half of the school is buying that stupid crap. Molly and Jess are spreading rumors about it to everyone, so I'm sure that every student knows. My group of friends comfort me and tell me to not listen. I try to accomplish that, but it gets ruined every time I hear a person repeat the damn rumor. Which is a lot of times.

Tobias is always with me. Protecting me. I haven't seen Al, I think that he is either dead or he's not coming to school, either one I'm fine with.

"Fine," I lie, not feeling the need to speak about it. I get in my room and I lay down on my bed. As I shut my eyes, my phone rings.

Tobias.

I click answer.

"Hello?" I state, sitting up.

"Hey Tris,"he starts, "I'll like to take you on a date."

"I, um. Today?" I stuttered, my cheeks growing warm.

"Yes. At 7?" He asks.

"I'll need to ask my mom, I'll be right back." I tell him.

"Okay." I drop my phone on my bed and I run downstairs. My mom is still mopping and she's humming a tune.

"Mom, can I go with Four at 7?" I question, possibly sounding too hopeful. She ceases her humming and looks at me.

"Like a date?" She asks, smiling, I blush and nod. "Okay, but no later then 10!" She demands. I grin and sprint upstairs.

I barge in my room but then my smile disappears. My joy and excitement disappeared. Instead, it's replaced with fear and shock.

Al. He stands next to my bed, with my phone in his hands. My window is wide open, allowing a cold breeze to flow through. I step back, ready to run, but his next action goes by too quick.

He runs to me and grips my throat, choking me. Tears spring in my eyes, I try to yell but it's comes out gargled. He places a white cloth on my mouth and nose as I muffle cries of help, I try to pry him off me by shoving and kicking.

But then the world fades.