3. WELL, THAT WAS CHEERY

| CHAPTER THREE |

WELL, THAT WAS CHEERY.

THE GREAT HALL AT HOGWARTS School of Witchcraft and Wizardly was bustling with excitement and joy. Even the nervous first years seemed to be smiling and enjoying themselves after their Sorting, showing the full effect the school had on it's students; even the new ones. 

Hazel - like always - was sat besides Fred. Lee and George opposite them. The latter of which staring right at the brunette girl more than usual, only snapping out of the gaze when Lee nudged his side and sent him a sly smirk. Luckily for George, Hazel didn't seem to notice that his eyes were practically glued on her, instead she enjoyed a funny conversation with Fred causing George to clench his jaw and look down.

"Welcome!" Headmaster Dumbledore greeted cheerfully, as he stood in front of his podium looking down at the students through his half-moon shaped spectacles, "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts," He smiled brightly as the students quietened down and listened, "I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it's best to get it out the way before you all become too befuddled by our excellent feast," Dumbledore cleared his throat, "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is playing host to some Dementors from Azkaban, who are here on the Ministry of Magic's business."

The atmosphere of the Great Hall suddenly dampened as some students shared worried glances with their friends. It was no secret that the Ministry of Magic was on a incredibly alert look out after one of their prisoners escaped from Azkaban. A man by the name of Sirius Black. A man that Hazel knew of exceptionally well. A man that was once best friends with both her dad and her Godfather; James Potter.

"They are stationed at every entrance of the ground, and whilst they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave the school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises, or even Invisibility Cloaks. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleasing or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you, to give them no reason to harm you."

"Well, that was cheery," Hazel mumbled under her breath, before sharing a worried look with her friends.

Dumbledore continued, "On a happier tone, I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our rank this year," He said in a cheerful tone, "Firstly, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There were scattered, rather unenthusiastic clasps around the Hall, but coming from the Gryffindor table were extremely loud cheers and claps from the Weasley twins and Lee, as well as Hazel. The three of them were grinning widely as some students close by moved away from them due to the loud noise whilst Remus' cheeks turned a slight shade of crimson and he playfully glared at his daughter and her friends.

"Yes, yes," Dumbledore chuckled, "Settle down now you four," His words caused the noise to settle back down, as the four friends calmed down, "I am sorry to say Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs."

"Thank Merlin for that," Lee whispered as the trio agreed. As interesting as Care of Magical Creatures was, the Professor, on the other hand, was almost as dull as their History of Magic teacher; Professor Binns; who was a ghost that died in the school without even realising it.

"However, I am delighted to announce that his place will be filled by no other than our own Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

The Gryffindor table was by far the loudest at celebrating that announcement. Practically every students cladded in the burgundy and gold uniform cheered and clapped causing the half-giant to smile widely under his enormous beard.

"At least now we know why we have a biting book this year," Lee sniggered over the cheering.

"Better a biting book than listening to Professor Kettleburn," Hazel commented as Fred and George both nodded in agreement.

"Let the feast begin!" Dumbledore finally said. As soon as the words left his mouth, the four house tables became filled with a large variety of food, ranging from simple mash potatoes to elaborately stacked chocolate profiteroles; which the students had no problem in digging straight into.

"Finally," Both Hazel and Fred chorused as the pair began filling up their golden plates, stacking everything they could physically stack onto them.

The brunette girl quickly noticed George looking right at her, an amused smile on his freckled face, "You alright there, Georgie?" She teased, knowing fully well how much the ginger haired boy hated that name.

However, this time he didn't seem to be bothered by the nickname, instead he sent Hazel a polite smile and nodded his head, his eyes still dreamily looking right at her, "Yeah, yeah, I'm good."