39. RUN

| CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE |

RUN.

HAZEL WAS SHITTING HERSELF. 

SHE didn't know how long she had been stuck in the dark, misty maze, but it was definitely far too long for her liking. She hadn't seen anything, yet, any turn she made was met with hushed whispers travelling from one ear to the other. Her grip on her wand was so tight it caused her knuckles to turn white and her fingers to stiffen, but that was the least of her worries. 

She stopped dead in her tracks when she heard loud sparks emitting from the complete opposite side of the maze, her heart picked up its speed as she worried for her friends. Sure, this was a tournament where there could only be one winner, but that didn't mean she had to be heartless. 

The brunette felt stuck in her spot. She was about to walk away when suddenly she really did feel stuck. Glancing down at her boots, Hazel's eyes widened when she spotted a large vine curling around her ankle. Panicking, the brunette quickly moved her leg, groaning in pain when she realised how stuck she really was. Now, the vine was slowly but surely making its way further up her leg, encircling around it tightly.

"Shit, shit, shit," Hazel panicked, she kept trying to pry her leg from the grip but it wasn't working. Adrenaline pumped through her veins as she finally remembered her wand. Without giving it a second thought, the brunette pointed the magic stick at the plant, her voice was loud as she did every spell she could remember that she knew would get rid of it. 

White sparks shot out of her wand and hit the vine, causing it to retract as if it was in pain. Hazel didn't waste anymore time, she sprinted away from that section of the maze, hearing the maze moving behind her. She didn't even bother looking back and only stopped running when she thought it was the safest. However, in that maze, it never seemed too safe. So, when Hazel stopped running, she began walking through it, glancing over her shoulder every few steps. 

The brunette's breathing seemed to be returning kind of to normal. The fear was still there but the adrenaline seemed to override it. Hazel muttered 'Lumos' under her breath, suddenly the maze turned even darker than it originally was. The mist seemed to get bigger and the fear in Hazel's blood seemed to thicken. 

"Oh, hell no," The brunette muttered to herself, shaking her head as she felt tears stinging her eyes. 

Right there in front of her stood the biggest Acromantula she had ever laid eyes upon. It was the size of a carthorse, it's body was even blacker than the night and if Hazel didn't have her wand shining, she definitely wouldn't have seen it. She didn't understand why the creature was there -it's eight legs and eight eyes causing shivers to run up and down Hazel's spine - didn't Dumbledore say that there was no creatures in the maze? Sure, Hazel couldn't fully concentrate on the Headmaster's words due to the nerves, but she never heard anything about Acromantulas waiting for them inside. 

The brunette began to walk backwards, hoping that she would be able to go back to where she came from. Truthfully, she would take that stupid vine over this gigantic spider any day. However, the brunette wasn't lucky enough. The maze behind her shifted and the spider's eyes locked on her, it's pincers clicking away. 

"Stupefy! " Hazel yelled, pointing her wand at the creature. The spell hit the Acromantula but it didn't seem to do anything, well, actually, it seemed to anger the creature more than anything. Hazel's eyes widened with fear as she still kept taking steps back, glancing over her shoulder she noticed she was incredibly close to a dead-end, "Stupefy! " She said again, her voice laces with pure panic. 

Yet again, the spell didn't do anything. Hazel racked her brain as the spiders walked slowly towards her, seemingly taunting her. Her eyes moved from side to side as she tried remembering any of her old school work, suddenly, a light bulb switched in her brain. Clearing her throat, Hazel pointed the wand at the Acromantula, trying to keep it as steady as she could, "Expulso! " She covered her eyes with her other arm as a bright blue light burst out of her wand. A loud bang echoed throughout the entire maze; it was even heard outside of it as the Acromantula suddenly exploded.

Hazel finally opened her eyes when she couldn't hear the sound of the pincers. She let out a disgusted groan when she spotted the remains of the creature splattered around the maze hedges. With a shaky breath, the brunette rushed away from the scene. She ran through the maze, she needed to find that goddamn Cup so that all this could be over. 

Hazel wasn't looking forwards, instead her head moved from side to side, trying to spot the bright blue Cup. Suddenly, her body crashed into another and she stumbled backwards. With a panicked expression, the brunette raised her wand before she sighed in relief, "Harry," She breathed out, throwing her arms over the younger boy.

"Are you okay?" He asked, grimacing at the sight of blood in Hazel's hair.

The brunette didn't even realise that some of the remains of the gigantic spider splattered into her hair, and when Harry pointed it out she shuttered then quickly wiped it away with the sleeve of her shirt, "Stupid Acromantuala," Hazel muttered under her breath. 

"Acromantula?" Harry asked, tilting his head with confusion.

"I'll explain later, we really need to get out of here," The brunette said in a rushed voice, the whispers making themselves present again. 

Harry nodded, and without another word the pair ran down the maze, their eyes shifting from side to side as they tried spotting the Cup. Suddenly, Harry pulled Hazel's arm, bringing her back to him. She panted and her blood ran cold when Harry pressed his finger to his lip, practically begging her to stay quiet with his eyes. When the brunette didn't say anything, Harry nodded his head at what caused him to worry.

Gulping, Hazel turned around, her eyes instantly locking on Krum. However, he didn't look anything like she remembered. His hair was matted to his face from the sweat that pooled on his forehead. His breathing was shallow and uneven, but the thing that freaked Hazel the most were his eyes; his usually dark brown eyes were now cloudy and grey.

Hazel felt Harry stepping backwards, his hand clasped around her bicep. Suddenly, the spectacled boy must've stepped on a twig, it snapped causing Krum's head to spin around and face them. As soon as his cloudy eyes spotted them, he didn't waste any time and charged at them.

"Run!" Hazel exclaimed, turning around and pushing Harry.

It took him several seconds to realise what was happening, but as soon as it did he began sprinting through the maze, keeping hot on Hazel's heels. 

The brunette breathed heavily as her heart pounded violent against her ribcage, she could hear Krum's almost animalistic grunts as he followed them. Suddenly, a bright blue light caught Hazel's attention. She paused momentarily causing Harry to run right in her. He opened his mouth to tell her to run until his eyes landed on what she was looking at.

Gasping, Harry pushed the brunette, "Go, go get it."

Hazel finally tore her eyes away from the Triwizard Cup, "What? No, you deserve it, Harry."

Harry bit his lip, he glanced behind them and spotted how close Krum had gotten, "Together?" He suddenly asked, turning back to the brunette. 

Before she could reply, Harry grabbed her hand in his and began running again. This time with an actual plan of escape. Hazel felt herself almost tripping over her own feet, before she regained her balance and followed Harry, terrified of what Krum would do if he caught up to them.

"On three, okay?" Harry asked as they neared the cup.

Hazel nodded, still holding Harry's hand as she ran.

"One...Two...Three."