9. SWEATERS

| CHAPTER NINE |

SWEATERS.

THE END OF OCTOBER CAME sooner than Hazel had anticipated. 

As most of the students complained about the cold British weather, Hazel was more than happy about it, seeing as she owned a fair share of sweaters that she absolutely adored.

The brunette chose her yellow one; for the trip to Hogsmeade Village, pairing it with a black denim skirt which she wore over her black wooly tights. She slipped her chelsea ankle boots on before grabbing her Gryffindor scarf and black coat.

Hazel practically skipped down the stairs, looking confused when she reached the common room and spotted George sitting on the couch all alone. Nevertheless, she approached her friend, her heart picking up it's speed as her hands suddenly felt clammy.

George must've heard her footsteps, as he turned around just before she reached him, "Hi," He muttered, his eyes landing on hers.

"Hey," Hazel smiled, "Where's Fred and Lee?" She questioned, a puzzled look on her face.

George's cheeks flushed a light pink colour, "Oh, they went along already. I wanted to wait for you."

Hazel felt as if her eyes were getting lost in his. A soft smile appeared on her lips, "Thank you," She said,  "Shall we get going then?"

George nodded and stood up off the couch, the two of them walked side by side out of the common room. 

Hazel could feel her cheeks tinting a pinkish colour. Especially when her hand accidentally brushed his. Unknown to her, George's heart would flutter anytime that happened.

"Where are we meeting them?" Hazel suddenly asked, breaking the comfortable silence between the two.

"At Zonko's, I think," George replied, he started fiddling with his hands nervously, "B-But, I was thinking we could, maybe, stop off at the Three Broomsticks for a bit, only if you want--"

"I'd love that," Hazel smiled, cutting him off as she sensed his nerves, but why was he nervous? Part of her hoped that it was the same reason as hers.

George instantly let out a sigh of relief. His shoulders seemed to soften slightly as he smiled at Hazel, his eyes inspecting her face, noting the little freckles dotted around her nose and the way her dark brown eyes shone brightly and full of life.

Wordlessly, Hazel linked her arm with his. A gesture the pair have done for years, however, one that this time felt different. A good different, though. 

It didn't take them long to get to Hogsmeade. They managed to find a practically empty carriage and occupied it, the tension seemed to ease off as they joked around. However their cheeks hurt from smiling too much and the constant red tint to them was very easily spotted by any student around them. Of course, people thought the weather could be to blame for that.

They managed to find a nice, secluded part of the pub. Sighing in comfort as the warmth hit them straight away. They didn't even realise how cold it actually was outside until they stepped through those doors. Ordering a Butterbeer each, the pair resumed their conversation from the ride over. 

The pair were so immersed in one another, they didn't even check the clock in the pub, causing them to completely forget about meeting Fred and Lee at the  joke shop. However, Fred and Lee certainly didn't forget. When the pair had waited for long enough, they decided to leave the joke shop (after buying almost all of it's products) and on their way through the small, wizarding village they spotted something interesting through the Three Broomstick's window. 

Coming to a halt, Fred and Lee peered inside. Their eyes instantly spotting Hazel and George as the pair were practically gazing into each other's eyes, "My plan has worked," Fred mumbled, a proud smile on his face.

"What plan?" Lee questioned.

"The plan to get them alone together."

The two watched Hazel and George closely for a fair few minutes, until they got shouted at for being peeping Tom's and quickly ran off. 

Hazel and George finally left the Three Broomsticks almost four hours after they arrived there. Time had flown by so quick, none of them even realised what time it was until the pub was becoming more vacant and the sun began setting. They had also clearly missed the carriages and had to walk back to Hogwarts. Something they both were secretly very glad about. 

They walked extremely close to one another. So close, in fact, that Hazel's shoulder would brush against George's arm as she walked, an action that seemed to sent butterflies down to her stomach. Content smiles were painted on their faces as they looked at the orange tinted sky.

"I had a really good time today," Hazel stated, looking up at the ginger haired boy.

George's face clearly lit up at her words, "So did I."

Hazel didn't know what came over her. She reached down and pressed her palm into his. His fingers instantly locked with hers as they walked in a steady pace, reaching the school too quick for their liking. 

The pair reached Hogwarts, still hands locked together, and made their way up the moving stairs. George suddenly came to a stop, his inner thoughts battling in his mind as he turned around to face a confused Hazel. He had been putting it off all day but he knew he needed to get something off his chest, however, the fear of rejection from he brunette frightened him a lot more than he would ever admit. 

Taking a deep breath, George opened his mouth but no words came out as Hazel gasped and pointed past him. Feeling confused, George turned around and finally noticed the large commotion on the stairs just outside of the Gryffindor common room. His thoughts forgotten as he practically ran up the stairs, still holding Hazel's hand as she followed him.

"What the hell happened?" Hazel questioned Neville Longbottom when she spotted the younger boy.

"The Fat Lady is gone."

Hazel and George shared confused but worried looks. How could the Fat Lady be gone? And why was she gone? All those thoughts swarmed Hazel's mind causing her to forget George wanted to tell her something merely seconds ago. 

The pair pushed past students until they reached the front where they spotted Fred and Lee. 

"Finally. We thought you guys got lost," Lee stated when he spotted the pair, a teasing smirk on his face.

"Very funny, Lee," George commented, "What the hell happened?" He questioned, trying to find out what was actually going on.

Both Fred and Lee shrugged.

"She just disappeared," Fred stated, "Look," He nodded his head at the portrait which hung on the outside of the Gryffindor common room door.

Hazel gasped when she spotted three long scratches running down the portrait and absolutely no sign of the Fat Lady.

"She's up there, Headmaster," Peeves cackled, pointing up towards some paintings of animals, "Try spotting the hippo in that portrait," The poltergeist began laughing like a maniac before he disappeared.

Hazel watched as Dumbledore pushed past the crowd, finally stopping in front of a large painting.

"Who did this to you?" He questioned, his voice soft.

"It-t-t was him...Headmaster," The Fat Lady stammered, "T-The one they're all talking ab-about, Sir...He was he-here....In-In the castle. Sirius Black!"