Chapter 2: Conditions Of People

Ghira POV

I opened the door and locked it again upon entering the house. It was very silent inside. Not the suspicious kind, more the kind of silence that's reassuring that it'll be fine and that the night has fallen. Actually, it was a good sign that it was silent, otherwise Blake would've woken up and she could've been still influenced by that little fuckface somehow. I walked up to the bedroom Kali and me sleep in and found her reading in bed. When she noticed me, she put her book down and looked at me.

Kali: "Did you... Did it go alright?"

Ghira: "Of course it did, it's not like I had to make a new weapon for the Atlas military within 24 hours or else you guys would've been killed. Don't worry about it. He's somewhere in the water, all dead. Close call though, some Chris guy ran into me, turns out he and I met sometime and he asked some questions about what I was doing with this weather."

Kali: "What did you tell him?"

Ghira: "That he was some human wanted in Vale and that he'd be shipped off back to there and that's why I was heading to the docks. Still can't believe he bought that actually."

Kali: "Ah well, don't worry about that. You're quite the convincing person if you want to be one."

Ghira: "Heh, thanks... Oh, did you succeed in getting rid of those pictures?"

Kali: "Of course I did, got rid of them all. Blake woke up, but I sent her back to bed. And about the pictures, I burned them, threw the ashes in the garden... Piece of cake... Or actually, piece of picture in this case."

Ghira: "Good one... I'm so glad he's gone, now we don't have to worry about him anymore and we can actually use the basement for something again. We should clean it tomorrow and then we can store some stuff in there or something. And we also don't have to feed that little shit anymore... It's for everyone's benefit. A mistake like him didn't deserve to be taken care of."

Kali: "You're right... We could do so much with the space we now have that he occupied. He was honestly such a waste of space. I'm glad we did this."

Ghira: "So am I... Wait, what's the time right now?"

Kali: "About 4 AM... Why?"

Ghira: "We have to do a lot of stuff tomorrow, we should go to sleep. Goodnight honey."

Kali: "Goodnight sweetie."

We kissed and then both of us went to sleep. Not exactly the thing you'd expect a couple to do after such an event like what just happened, but can you blame us? I have an important meeting for which I need to be well rested and we also wanted to clean up the basement. Considering it's already 4 AM, we should go to sleep.

Chris POV

I came back home and closed the door. I walked upstairs to Syd's bedroom and opened the door. He was lying in bed, sweating from the fever he'd gotten somehow today. It's weird how someone one moment just seems to be the healthiest person alive on Remnant and then suddenly seems so weak and ill. Lydia, my wonderful wife, the sweetest person on earth, was sitting next to his bed, with a cold washcloth on his head.

Chris: "How is he now?"

Lydia: "His fever went down, but not much. He's sweating too much. Did you get what you needed from the store for him?"

I suddenly remembered why I was outside tonight in the first place and grabbed the bottle that was in the little plastic bag I had with me now.

Chris: "Yes, they still had it. The man from the shop told me to give him a spoon of the stuff now and if the fever still was there in 12 hours another one. If after another 12 hours the fever still was there, he'd give me my money back, so I assume it will work. I'll get a spoon, I'll be right back."