Chapter 52: A Game Called Echo

3rd POV

As a scream of Blake echoed through the tunnel system, this immediately alerted Syd, Dan, Neo and (Y/N). Syd immediately felt regret towards his own decision of suggesting that Blake would go alone, obviously afraid something really bad had happened to her. And given the loudness of the scream when he heard it, this wasn't even such a weird thought. But, the fact that in these tunnels everything could sound louder than they really were managed to slip his mind.

Syd: 'Oh no, if something happens this is all my fault. Where do I go, where do I go...? Ah, wait, it sounded like it came from there, so I should head in that direction.'

Syd in his mix of panic and some strange kind of enthusiasm forgot to tell Dan about his plans, leaving him behind to wonder what actually had happened. In his confusion, he turned around a few times, which caused him to lose track of what direction Syd went in and where he and Syd had come from. Eventually, he just ran into one of the tunnels, hoping this was the one Syd had ran into. However, unknown to Dan, the tunnel he ran into was the one they had come from...

Dan: 'Syd you bastard, next time at least tell me the plan. I thought you were supposed to let me know where we were going! You bastard... Love you though.'

As Dan ran off, some of his footsteps' sounds reached the ears of (Y/N) and Neo, even though these sounds were slow and the distance they had to go over was quite big. This however made it sound to (Y/N) and Neo as if a small group of White Fang members was trying to sneak up on them. This thought seemed completely logical to them, as they were following the route that was literally painted on a wall in a room a few minutes of walking away from them. Any White Fang member who spent a few minutes in that room might know of the route. Neo pulled (Y/N) away and they started running, while trying to keep on following the route, hoping they'd reach an exit of some sorts.

Neo: 'Run (Y/N), run, we won't make it out otherwise!'

(Y/N): 'Why does this kind of shit always have to happen to me? Just why, every time that something good seems to happen, shit like this comes along... Why do I have such bad luck all the time?'

Another scream from a voice that sounded like Blake's echoed through the tunnels, making it all the more urgent for all of them to reach their destination quicker. Dan, in his confusion, had taken some random turns and had managed to somehow make a full curve on his way, basically retracing his steps in a tunnel parallel to the one he had walked in. However, he wasn't aware of this in the slightest...

Dan POV

Dan: 'Now, if I want to reach out to the left I need to turn here, shit I can't, back to the right here then, other way is blocked and I can't go backwards now.'

I kept running like a madman, not knowing too sure where to go. All I knew is that Blake was in danger, Syd had ran off somewhere completely random and I had no clue where and that (Y/N) and Neo might be very far away from me as of now. Because of all the panic in my mind, I didn't pay much attention to where I was going and I slipped into a wall.

Dan: 'Fuck, that hurts...'

This had caused some weird sounds to come out. Firstly, there was the echo of my fall and that I hit the wall echoing through the tunnels. I was really afraid someone heard it and might be able to find me now... Scarier though was the sound that came after that, just a few seconds later. It sounded as if a huge avalanche of rocks was coming above from me to kill me. I panicked and ran further, right forward. After a while, I heard the sound of rocks falling very clearly. I turned around and saw that the tunnel behind me had collapsed. I walked back to the newly created mess.