New Home

I pulled the small sedan into the narrow street with a sigh.

Me and my wife have been looking at different homes throughout Chicago, more specifically Vernon Hills, for about a week now and have narrowed it down to two places. The first house was nice but we still had to take a look at the second.

I stopped the car in front of the building and me and my family got out to have a look around.

20 minutes later and we're getting back into the car more torn than ever. Me and my wife loved both places but we couldn't decide on which one to buy.

I was jolted from my thoughts by a sharp intake of breath coming from one of my passengers in the backseat.

I looked back at my eldest son through the rear view mirror. He seemed to be transfixed on something, but I couldn't tell what. He'd already seen the house so surely he couldn't be fascinated by that.

I followed his gaze and saw a little girl standing at a mailbox. She couldn't be more than 6 or 7 years old. I watched as she closed the mailbox door and happily skipped up the porch steps, going into the townhouse next to the one we were looking at.

I glanced back at my son. He was staring at the closed door, almost as if he was waiting to see if she would come back out or not. I turned to look at my wife. I knew by the look on her face that she'd seen it too.

My thoughts were again interrupted, this time by my youngest son. It appeared that he had seen it as well.
"David has a girlfriend! David has a girlfriend! OW! Mom! David hit me!"

Me and my wife shared knowing smiles, knowing right then and there, which house we would choose.