I told you so

David was sat on the couch in his living room, watching YouTube videos on the TV. Quarantine had been getting quite difficult for him.
At first, it was a perfect excuse not to film, and it had relieved a ton of stress. Now however, he was getting antsy at not being able to do anything.
Although LA was slowly opening back up, it wasn't nearly enough to where David could go out and gather 20+ people for his vlogs.
He wanted to go outside more, so much so that he actually accompanied Natalie and Ilya on a few of their morning runs, much to their surprise.

The house was empty.
Taylor and Ella had gone home, Ilya was out with Dima, and Natalie had gone out to meet with Todd at a local bar.

Natalie...

David would never admit how jealous of Todd he really was.
Call him possessive, but he missed when he was the only one Natalie would lay down on the couch with, sleep on the same bed with, or have little inside jokes between the other.

In his eyes, Natalie was his best friend and his only.
No one else's.
The fact that she wouldn't stay up late to watch a movie with him, or just sit around talking about nothing and everything anymore, and was instead, doing that with Todd, was starting to get to him.

Of course, when Natalie had confided in him that she might be starting a relationship with Todd beyond the casual hook up here and there, he had warned her.
David warned her about Todd and reminded her of his reputation and track record with commitments.
She told him that while she appreciated his concern, she could take care of herself.
David didn't push it.
She was right of course, she could take care of herself.
But that did not change the fact that he was still worried for her.

Although Natalie liked to portray herself as this badass, sassy woman who would take shit from no one, not even her boss, David and others like Ilya, knew that deep down, she was actually a pretty sensitive person.
Not to hate comments online, but to new people.
If they weren't one of her friend's friends or people she knew to be of good character, she held them to a small amount of distrust.
It took a long while for Natalie to completely open up to someone; a lesson that the rest of the Vlogsquad quickly learned when she first moved in.

David trusted Todd with a lot of things... but Natalie and her feelings, was not one of them.

So lost in his thoughts David was, that he did not hear the sound of the front door being unlocked and opened.
He did however, nearly jump out of his skin when it was slammed shut.

David watched as Natalie speed walked past him and to her room; trying, and failing, to hide the tears streaming down her face.

David immediately got up and followed her to her room. He lightly knocked on her door.
He just barley heard Natalie's response.
"Com- come in."

David turned the doorknob and pushed the door open.
What he saw made his heart shatter to pieces.

Natalie was sitting at the foot of her bed, trying desperately to wipe the tears out of her eyes, to make it look like she had not been crying. It was no use.

David just sighed and shook his head in pity.
He moved to sit beside her, saying nothing, and simply opened his arms for her.

Natalie dove right into David's arms, finally allowing her tears to fall freely.
"I- I thought we had something," she said.
"I thought this time would be different, I-"
"Shhh..." David interrupted, rubbing soothing circles on her back and stroking her hair.
"It's okay Nat, I'm here for you; I always will be."
Natalie sobbed at this and hugged David even tighter.
"Thank you Dave, I love you."
"I love you too Nat; don't worry, just let it out, I've got you."

They stayed this way for a long time, until Natalie's sobs finally turned to small sniffles.

David pulled away slightly, but never completely letting go of her.
"Do you want to tell me what happened?" He gently asked her.

Natalie sniffled.
"I- I was going to the bar that he told me to meet up at, but there was an accident up ahead so I got stuck in traffic. I- sniff I sent him a text saying I was going to be late and he responded with one of those thumbs up emojis."
"Was it a light brown one like him?"
Natalie chuckled slightly, smiling appreciatively at his attempt to make her laugh.
"Anyway, I finally got to the place. I walked towards the bar and... he was just sitting there... making out with some blonde BITCH!
He saw me. He tried to explain, but I didn't let him. I left before he could."
Natalie started crying again, prompting David to hug her tighter.

David sighed.
"Look, Natalie... I'm really sorry. I know the last thing you probably want to hear right now is 'I told you so' but-"
"No." Natalie interrupted, shaking her head.
"You were right. You were right all along. I should've listened to you from the start, I'm sorry."
David shook his head in disbelief.
"Don't be, Todd is the one who should be sorry right now."
Natalie nodded, wiping her tears on David's shirt.
She paused once she realized how wet it was, and looked up at him. She gave a sheepish smile. "Sorry..."
"Don't worry about it, it's alright. I don't care about that."

After nearly half an hour of more hugging, David finally pulled away and looked at her.
"Do you want to go to bed?"
Natalie nodded.
David slightly hesitated at his next question, but asked it anyway.
"Do you want to sleep with me on my bed?"
"Yes please." Natalie whispered.
"Do you want to put on some pajamas?"
Natalie shook her head. "I'm fine."

David got up from the bed, but Natalie grabbed his wrist before he could walk away.
He turned back to her and Natalie shyly looked up at him.
"Carry me?"
David chuckled. "Natalie, no. Come on, let's go."
Natalie's eyes started to water, and just like that, David was undone.
Sigh "Alright, come here." He bent down and picked Natalie up bridal style.
She immediately got comfortable in his arms.

By the time David got to his room, Natalie was already asleep.
Thankfully, he had left his door open.
Natalie woke back up as David gently laid her down on his bed, before getting in next to her.
He had on a hoodie and sweatpants, so he didn't bother changing into his PJ's.
He would brush his teeth in the morning.

Natalie immediately cuddled up to David, burying her face into his chest.
He responded by wrapping an arm around her waist, pulling her even closer to him.
"Thank you Dave," Natalie whispered. "You're the best friend I've ever had."
David smiled.
"Like I said Nat, I'll always be there for you, always."