Natalie!

Natalie was tired. She had just left a dinner party with her girlfriends and because she didn't drive to the restaurant, she was forced to call an Uber to take her home. The Uber arrived and Natalie got in, trying not to fall asleep until she was safely at home.

She had almost failed that goal until she was jolted awake by her phone ringing. She smiled as she saw the caller ID.

"Hey babe," Natalie said into the phone. "What's up?" "Nothing much Nat," David laughed. "Just editing. I just wanted to know what time you're gonna be home. I could use some help to be honest." David got himself a soda from the fridge and made his way back to the couch. "I should be home in about 10 minutes." Natalie said. "We're entering the hills now." "Alright, see you soon, I love you."

Before Natalie could respond, the car's headlights suddenly left the road and illuminated a gravel shoulder, followed by the backdrop of LA. A cliff. She screamed as the Uber driver threw the wheel to the left as hard as he possibly could, the sudden movement jerking Natalie to the right and causing her to drop her phone.

"I love you." "I- ahhhhh!!!!" Natalie's scream of terror echoed through David's phone, followed by the sound of squealing tires. "Holy shit, what was that? Nat are you okay?" She didn't answer. David got up from the couch and started pacing around the house, trying to get his girlfriend to answer. "Nat? Natalie! Natalie please answer me! Natalie...! NAT PLEASE!!!!" David screamed into the phone, tears starting to well up in his eyes as he feared the worst. David finally gave up on trying to get a response. He desperately wanted to know if she was ok, but there was nothing he could do. He had no idea where her Uber was or where they had entered the hills from. All he could do was wait. David sank to the ground, his back against the kitchen island, and started sobbing.

Natalie didn't hear David's calls as she was still trying to catch her breath. "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!" She raged at her Uber driver. "I'm so sorry, I didn't see the turn in time! I was going too fast to slow down, I didn't mean to, I swear!" Natalie eventually managed to calm down enough to not yell at him again. "Just please pay more attention!" Natalie put her head in her hands, trying to gather her thoughts, before she realized she lost her phone. She looked all over the backseat of the car but she couldn't find it. She couldn't feel it in between the seats either. "Shit," Natalie sighed. She didn't want to deal with this at the moment. Now she was gonna have to stay in the car even longer if she didn't find her phone before they got to the house. Natalie finally found her phone just as the Uber pulled onto their street. Natalie quickly got out of the car, not sparing her driver a second glance or acknowledging his further apologies. The driver, not knowing what else he could say, just sighed and drove away, leaving Natalie on her and David's porch.

Natalie quickly unlocked the door and got inside, breathing a sigh of relief at the familiar smell of the house. "Natalie?" Natalie jumped at the sound of David's voice and watched as he emerged from the kitchen. "Natalie!" David ran up to Natalie and took her into a bone crushing hug. She felt tears hit her shoulder as David held her close, breathing in the calming scent of her hair. He abruptly released her from the hug and kissed her hard on the lips. He pulled away and gripped her arms. "I- I heard you scream, and the car, you weren't answering me, I thought you... oh God." David pulled her into another hug, this one not nearly as hard as the first, to assure himself that she was ok.

Natalie wrapped her arms around him, hugging him back and explaining what happened and how she didn't find her phone until she was already home. "I thought I didn't have to worry about you guys," David started. "I thought... I just realized that you can be taken away from me at any moment. God I can't lose you Nat, I won't." Natalie didn't ask what he meant by "I won't." She didn't accost him for saying such things either. Because she knew she would've done the same. She couldn't imagine a life without David. She wouldn't be able to live without him.

David and Natalie went straight to bed that night. They didn't even bother changing. They laid in each other's arms, a new appreciation for the precious gift of life in their minds, and the love they held for each other in their hearts.