Track Day

- This is a long one (I apologize in advance) and some things are exaggerated for dramatic effect.
- Please read the info at the bottom once finished.
- Also the thing about Scott and the lambo, idk if that's actually what he did I just made it up.
- I made up the racetrack too, I don't think there's one of that description near LA.
- Note for the beginning "scene": For those of you not into racing, four or five seconds may seem short, but trust me, it's not.
In racing, it's a lifetime.
—————————————————————

     "Alright here he comes..." Heath stopped the timer on his phone as soon as the Ferrari blew by, Jason starting one on his own phone to time the next lap. "WOW, baby must be feeling GOOD today!" Heath screamed. Everyone laughed. "What's his time?" Natalie asked.
Heath briefly turned his phone so Natalie and Taylor could see. "3 minutes, .5 seconds! That's three seconds faster than his last lap!" Taylor quickly wrote it down on her phone; they were using it to take down everybody's best times. A little competition they came up with on the way to the track.

     David and the rest of the Vlogsquad were at a racetrack a few miles from LA that they had rented out for the afternoon so they could drive their cars fast and get some much needed content. It was a good track. It had a straight at the start/finish line followed by many turns that lead into a massive second straight that was over two miles long, followed by a lot more turns that lead back into the first straight. David brought his Ferrari, Heath his Lamborghini, Scott brought the Lamborghini he had rented for his video's thumbnail (he didn't use it cause he thought using the toy would be funnier), Joe brought his Corvette, Jonah brought his BMW, and Jeff brought his motorcycle... just for shits. Everyone else followed in David's Tesla, which was driven by Jason as Natalie rode shotgun with David.

As always, David had to be convinced to participate in his own video. He only agreed to it once Natalie drove his Ferrari around the track for a few laps and got the tires warmed up... that and she challenged him to beat her time.
David would turn down a competition offer from his friends every now and then, but he would never give up the chance to beat Natalie at something. They were best friends. It was in their nature. David had already beaten her time, but he wanted to see if he could beat Heath's time of 2:38.09 . Which was probably never gonna happen as Heath made that time in his Lambo, but it couldn't hurt to try.

They watched from the stands as David neared the end of the straight and went into the first turn. Heath heard the tires whine as the Ferrari wobbled a bit, before straightening back out again. "Holy shit he almost lost it there, " Carly laughed. Everyone except Heath laughed along with her. Mariah was the only one who noticed and quietly crept up to him. "Bubba, what's wrong?" she whispered. Heath looked at her. "Nothing, it's just that that's the first mistake David's made on that turn. He's gotten it perfectly the past few laps." "I'm sure he's just excited." Mariah replied. Heath just nodded. After watching David almost slip up again, this time on the very last corner, Heath turned to Taylor. "Hey, how many laps has David done?" Taylor looked down at her phone. "This is his 38th." Holy shit. He didn't realize David had been out there so long. Time does fly when you're having fun. The car should be fine though. Heath thought to himself. It's built for this kind of thing. What he didn't know was that the past few days beforehand Jeff and Zane had been taking the Ferrari out for some joyriding and have been driving it pretty hard.

Natalie smiled as she watched the Ferrari blast around the track. She had to admit she was a little surprised at how quickly David got the hang of driving it around the place, but that was one of the things she loved about him. His obsession with finishing things once he starts them. With completing his goals. Yes, Natalie was in love with David. She was for quite some time now, but never had the guts to tell him. She would tell him soon though, just not now. As she watched she noticed a very faint tint of orange from the Ferrari's rear rims. She decided to ask Heath about it. With him being the car lover of the group he probably knew.

"Hey Heath, what's that light around David's tires?" Heath looked at her, confused, before turning back towards the track. He watched the car, as it nearly overshot the turn before the second straight. The rear rims lit up as the Ferrari braked. Heath slowly rose from his seat, eyes wide.

The Ferrari was now 3/4 of the way down the second straight, but David wasn't slowing the car down like he normally did. "Heath, isn't he supposed to be slowing down by now?" His lack of a response was starting to worry Natalie. "Holy shit, " Heath said. "He's got brake fade!" The group didn't know exactly what that meant but they didn't need to guess to get a general idea. Then it happened. The car spun.

——— 30 seconds earlier ———

David grimaced as he nearly overshot the turn. "What the fuck is wrong with this car?" He growled. It had been getting harder and harder to slow down and David couldn't understand why. He pressed on the brake pedal yet again. "Oh Shit." This time, the brakes didn't respond at all. He pumped the pedal as hard as he could but the car did nothing. He was getting desperate as he was getting dangerously close to the end of the straight. Not knowing what else to do, he grabbed the emergency brake and yanked it as hard as he could.

Big mistake.

The tires screamed in agony as the emergency brakes locked them up, preventing them from turning. David watched as the barrier got closer and closer before closing his eyes, accepting his fate. Fuck, he thought to himself. The right rear tire suddenly exploded from the pressure and the car, still going over 100 mph, went into an uncontrollable skid before slamming into the barrier rear first. The engine, being in the rear, crumbled in on itself and exploded, showering the track with bits of hot metal. The Ferrari, now engulfed in flames, bounced off the wall slid a few more feet before finally coming to a stop.

Natalie's scream of terror could probably be heard for miles. Everyone ran to their cars, which were parked on the grass at the side track, and rushed to the destroyed Ferrari. Mariah allowed Natalie to ride with Heath as he had the fastest car out of anybody there. As they got there, the emergency response team that worked the track were already there, showering the car in water and flame retardant. The team was trying to open the Ferrari's doors but they appeared to be stuck.

"Jesus Christ." Heath couldn't believe his eyes. He watched in fascination as David, his body ON FIRE, scrambled out the window of his Ferrari before tumbling to the floor, being sprayed by multiple men with fire extinguishers seconds later. The fireproof suit and helmet David was forced to wear did its job well. With the exception of a few cuts and bruises and the dirt in his face from when he bailed out of the car, he was fine.

     Natalie jumped out of the car, ignoring the firefighters shouting at her to stay back, and tackled David into a hug just as he took off the helmet. He responded immediately, wrapping his arms around her as tight as he could. He gently shushed her as he stroked her hair, whispering into her ear as she sobbed into his chest. "I'm alright. I'm alright." Natalie squeezed him tighter. "Don't ever leave me, please. I can't lose you. I love you." "I love you too."

Note: I wrote this because of an experience someone I know had with brake failure. Don't worry he's fine. But please, read below the most important things to do should this ever happen to you:

1. Stay calm.
2. Turn on your hazard lights.
3. "Pump" the brakes. AKA press and release the pedal as hard and as quick as you can, it could still give pressure to the brake pads.
4. Do NOT turn your car off as you will lose power steering, making your car harder to control.
5. Do NOT, EVER, do what David did in my story, you'll lose control in seconds. If you find yourself without brakes and the third step does not work, grip the emergency brake, button held down, and slowly raise it up. It will gradually slow your car down as any other brake would. The E-brake is not something that needs to be fully active or not active at all. It CAN be applied gradually.

Thank you for reading my story and for your attention. Until next time!