"Bronco"

THE TITLE IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS...

I looked out over the ruins of LA.
It was a sad sight.
There were fires still burning, and bomb craters littered the landscape.

It happened seven years ago.
There was a civil war in Russia that erupted into World War Three.
The new Russian government despised the US. So they invaded.
They got as far as Salt Lake City before being pushed right back into the Bering Straight.

The damage was severe. Almost all cities on the Western Seaboard were either destroyed or abandoned. Other cities like Las Vegas were ransacked and set ablaze.
No one was allowed to return. California soon became a no mans land as there were still enemy operators in the area, looking to cause trouble.

I joined the army almost immediately after the initial attacks. Most of us did. It's not like I had anything better to do.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Ocean.
"Dinora! Come on let's go!"

I didn't realize that the helicopter had landed.
I followed Ocean, Grinch, and Candle out of the helicopter, before it lifted off and flew away.
Obviously these weren't their real names. They were just call signs. Ocean is really named Mark, Grinch is Amanda, and Candle is Jake.
Mine is... well... my name is not important.

My radio crackled.
"Hunter team, we'll circle around outside the city limits until you call us, you have two hours to find your contact before we have to leave without them, otherwise we won't have enough fuel to get back."
I pressed the talk button on my radio.
"Copy Nightstalker, out"

We were in LA to meet up with another soldier. They had been sent on a mission in the city. Two days in, they radioed in that their mission was a success.
Now we had to get them out.
We did not know who it was, just that it was a female, her call sign was Bronco, and that she was expecting us inside a house to the West.

We walked for about fifteen minutes before coming to the house. It was white and had a certain charm to it, even if it was uncared for.

I didn't care to look around anymore.
As I walked up the driveway and to the front door, I flinched.

"I'm not leaving without you!"
"Yes you are, now go!"
"No!"

I was grounded by a shake of my shoulder. It was Grinch.
"Hey, you good?"
"Perfect."
Grinch didn't seem convinced, but she nodded anyway and let it go.

I wasn't "perfect" though...

I knew this house.

           ______________________

Clearing the rooms was torture. Every one sent a chill down my spine.

Me and Grinch entered a hallway and after clearing the first few rooms, soon came to the last one.
On my signal, we threw the door open and stormed inside. It was clear.

I shook my head.
As soon as I had touched the doorknob, I had had another flashback.

"Hey Natalie, you ready to go!"
"Yeah, just a sec... what?"
"Nothing, you just- you look beautiful."
"Aww thank you! You don't look so bad yourself. Come on, let's get going."

I lowered my weapon as I looked around the room. There was a big bed in the center and a white dresser in front of it.
Although it was covered in mold and dust, it was still recognizable as a woman's bedroom.

Tears clouded my vision.
I didn't even hear Grinch calling to me until she was right in front of me, gripping me by the shoulders.
"Dinora!"
I looked at her.
She looked both sad and understanding.
We've had to snap you out of it three times now," she said.
"You know this house, don't you."
I nodded.
"And you knew her, didn't you."
I nodded again.

She sighed and pulled me into a hug.
I couldn't hold it back anymore, tears streamed down my cheeks.

We stayed that way for a few minutes, until Candle's voice came through our earpieces.
"I found her, we're in the backyard."

We looked at each other and nodded. I wiped away my tears and looked around the room once more.
"I'll find you," I whispered.
Then I turned and followed Grinch into the backyard.

            ______________________

Candle already had his weapon trained on her.

I raised my own, and gave her the challenge.
"Who is my favorite actor?"
"Jonah Hill."
I nodded. "It's her."

I lowered my weapon and approached her.
"Bronco, nice to see you made it."
She shook my hand.
"You too Dinora."

I froze.
I knew that voice was familiar... I just couldn't place it until now.
The call sign, fuck even the meeting point and challenge that SHE came up with! It should have been clear to me from the very beginning!

I tore my mask off.
"Natalie...?"

She blinked.
"How did you-"
Her eyes widened, and she was quick to remove her own mask.
"David...?"

I KNOW THE SETTING/THEME MAY BE WEIRD, BUT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA IN MY HEAD SO SUE ME!!!