Marriage (Part II)

David didn't know what to do. He didn't even know what to think. As he mulled over his thoughts he heard the front door open. Right... Jason... the podcast. "Hey, David! You ready!"
"Not now Jason! We're not doing the podcast this week, I'm not in the fucking mood!!" David yelled back from the kitchen. Jason stepped back in surprise at the harshness of his voice. "Jesus David, if you were having a bad day why didn't you just say so?" Jason sassed. "Text me whenever you're done taking your shit out on other people!" As he turned to leave, David finally stepped into the hallway. "Jay wait." He sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm just... something happened recently and I've been trying to get my thoughts together. Can you please help me?"

Jason stared at him. David would never ask for help unless it was for a vlog or for editing ideas, and the tone of his friend's voice told him that whatever it was that was bothering him, it was neither of those. This was serious. His face softened. "It's okay. I get it, we all have bad days." They went into the living room and sat on the couch. "So, what's on your mind?" "Natalie doesn't want to do the wedding." Jason blinked in surprise. "What?! Why?! Why would she back out now?!" "That's exactly what I asked her," David responded. He sighed. "We shouted a lot..." "Go on." Jason urged. David put his head in his hands. "I was yelling at her, asking why she didn't want to do it. She yelled back. Said it was because she didn't want the wedding, specifically the kiss, to be fake. She wanted it to be real." David lowered his voice to a whisper. "Because she loves me." Jason gasped. "David that's great! What did you say?" David looked at him incredulously. "What was I supposed to say Jason? I didn't think she felt that way about me!" David vented. "I don't even know what to think anymore!" Jason suddenly caught movement in the corner of his eye. He immediately recognized Natalie hiding in the hallway, silently listening in. David however, was too engrossed in his thoughts to notice. Jason suddenly had an idea.

"David, what do you think about Natalie?" David kept his face in his hands. "What do you mean Jace?" "I mean what goes through your head when you think about her? Do you love Natalie?" David sat up. "Of course I do, she's my best friend. 'Ok,' Jason thought. 'Not exactly what I was going for but it's a start.' "Okay. What do you love about her? Don't think about it, just say it. What is Natalie to you?" David sighed in contentment as he looked back at all the memories he's had with her. "I love how sweet she is to others, how she's shy but feisty at the same time, she's one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen. I've known her since we were kids, I know everything there is to know about her, and I love everything." "And what would you do if someone hurt her or made her feel uncomfortable?" David frowned just thinking about it. "I'd beat the shit out of them." "And if it was one of our friends?" David's frown got bigger. "I'd beat the shit out of them and then never speak to them again for as long as I live." "One more. What would you do if she started to date somebody?" David visibly flinched at the question. "Well I- I'd be disappointed that I wouldn't be able to spend as much time with her but if she's happy than so am I. But since Natalie's dad told me it was my responsibility to take care of her while she's with me and because she's my best friend, I'd have to have a word with said guy first." Jason smiled at him. "David, I'm going to tell you something ok? I don't want you to say anything, just think about it." David turned his head to look at him. "I think you're in love with Natalie... as more than a friend."

David's eyes widened and he opened his mouth to say something, but hesitated remembering Jason's words. He thought a about it a bit more before turning to Jason. "Y- You think?" "David I know. Think about it." David did think about it. He thought about all the things him and Natalie had experienced together, all the holidays and sleepovers when they were kids, the late night drives in the Tesla, comforting each other after their respective break ups, crying tears of happiness in each other's arms after confirming he would be a judge on America's Most Musical Family. Natalie because she was so proud of him and David because he knew that without Natalie he would have never gotten that far. Suddenly it all started to make sense. "Holy shit..." David said. "I'm in love with Natalie."