Reunion

SYNOPSIS: David and Natalie have lost contact with each other after graduating high school.
They didn't mean to... it just happened.
Several years pass and just when they seem doomed to never meet again, David just happened to be in New York City...

David's POV:
I walked down the streets of New York City with a spring in my step. I was here because I was to be a guest on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert."

I had done some online talk shows and worked my way up to finally getting my very own show. I was 23 years old, the youngest late-night talk show host in the world. Because of this little detail, I got interview requests from all over, everyone wanting to meet the hotshot newcomer to the late-night talk show scene, Stephen Colbert being one of them.

I figured I'd do some sightseeing and a little bit of vlogging while I was in the city. YouTube was more of a hobby now but I still enjoyed it.

After a few hours of walking and filming, I decided to pop into a nearby Starbucks. I needed my morning coffee.

The Starbucks on 1500 Broadway was always a busy place, but thankfully, I managed to find myself a chair. I got my coffee, put my laptop on the table, and started to import some of the clips I got. As I worked, I caught a flash of red out of the corner of my eye. I glanced up and saw a girl walk up to the register. I couldn't help but stare. She was very beautiful but at the same time, she had a certain air of innocence to her. I didn't know why, but I found myself deeply intrigued by her; she seemed familiar somehow. Not wanting to be caught staring, I averted my gaze as she left the register and found herself a seat. I silently got back to work. I had almost forgotten about the girl, when I heard the cashier shout, "Hot chocolate for Natalie!"

My head shot up. There was no way. It couldn't possibly be her. I watched as the same brunette girl from before walked up and grabbed the cup, a soft but clear "thank you" leaving her lips. I knew right then, that it was her. That voice was unmistakable, even after all this time.

I was ripped from my thoughts by the sound of the door closing. She had left. I quickly threw my belongings into my backpack and rushed out the door, determined to talk to her. As soon as I got outside, I realized that finding her was going to be harder than I thought. I had forgotten that I was right in the middle of Times Square.

I looked around frantically, before finally spotting that familiar red coat. I bolted after her, excuse mes and sorries leaving my lips as I shoved my way past people. I called out to her. "Natalie!" As she stopped and turned around, I finally caught up with her. "Hi." I stuck out my hand for a handshake, which she tentatively took. "Hello, do I know you?"

I laughed awkwardly, realizing how strange this looked. "Well I- I think so." Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "I mean I would hope so." She looked at me, a combination of confusion, curiosity, and apprehension swimming in her eyes. "You knew my name," she said. "Have we met before? What's your name?" I mentally prepared myself. This was it; the moment of truth. "David, David Dobrik."

She frowned. "Dobrik...  I know that name..." I watched as she mulled the name over in her head. Her eyes suddenly widened in recognition. It was as if a movie of all the memories we've had together started playing in her head. A movie that although I couldn't see, knew vividly through my own memories.

"Oh my God! OH MY GOD!! DAVEY!!" She quickly pulled me into a hug; one that I gladly returned. The hug was way too short. "David! I haven't seen you in years, what are you doing here?!" she asked, smiling.
"I'm gonna be a guest on Stephen Colbert! I got a job as a late night host for a new show in LA!" Natalie beamed. "You did it then! You achieved your dream!" she said, tears of joy welling in her eyes. "Yeah! I made it Nat! I made it!"

We talked for a while, catching up on each other's lives. She told me that she had quit soccer after college and majored in business and fashion. She was now a fashion designer for Tommy Hilfiger and was living here in New York. I told her about my life in LA preparing for the new show and how I was still doing YouTube but only posting a few times a month.

Natalie looked at her watch and her eyes grew sad. "I'm sorry, I have to go or I'm going to be late for work." She looked at me. "Hey listen, Dave, before I go... for what it's worth... I'm sorry for not staying in contact," she said, as tears welled up in her eyes. "You deserved more than that. I've been a shitty friend." I smiled and pulled her into a hug. "I'm sorry too. And you're not just my friend, you're my best friend. Natalie's head shot up. "What...?" She said it so softly it sounded like a whisper. "Me...? Still?" I smiled at her. "Yes Natalie, you. I don't care how much time has passed. You're still my best friend no matter what! You're my soulmate!" Natalie wrapped her arms around me again. "You know," I started. "I think I fell in love with you again when I saw you in that Starbucks. Just like when I first saw you." Natalie laughed. "Aww! I love you too Davey!"

She smiled at me. "Here, give me your phone, I'll put in my number." I handed it to her, enjoying the smile on her face as she typed in her number.

"Here," she handed my cell phone back to me and started to walk away, waving to me over her shoulder. "I have to go, but call me okay? We have to hang out before you go back to LA!" "Will do!" I waved back.

I watched as she disappeared into the sea of people, before making my way back to the Starbucks.

I couldn't wait any longer. I swiftly unlocked my phone and called her.

"Hello?"

I smiled at the sound of her voice. "Hey Natalie, it's David.

She gave a soft laugh. "Hey Davey! What, you miss me already?"

"I've missed you ever since we left high school..."

The layout and idea for this story was taken, with permission, from 's short story, "Long Lost Friend."

Thank you for reading! :)