24. A Drama Free Lunch?

Theodore was way too up in his head to acknowledge my preoccupations, in fact, reading emotions wasn't his best trait.

Back and forth, back and forth he had been since he woke up, much like my thoughts.

I needed a phone as soon as possible but it was late already, Grayson would be picking us up in a few minutes, not enough time to get one.

His agitation not only bothered me but made him quite distant, whenever it was business involved, Theodore would be consumed to his very soul. I couldn't quite keep up with this dynamic, one day we're all over each other and the next I'm a mere decorative object.

"I'm sorry Maddie did you say something?"

"No." I shrugged playing with my tea spoon. Great he was hearing voices.

Those were the first words he said to me after Good Morning.

"Something wrong? You haven't stopped since we woke up."

"Just business."

"On a Sunday?"

"Madison don't question my duties, one day when you start working you'll see how tough it is." He snapped, making me raise my brows, I was ready to hiss back at him when Theodore realized the harshness of his words and quickly corrected himself.

"I'm sorry, it's just to me there is no Sunday or Monday, whenever business calls I have to take it.. But I'm almost done I promise." He apologized.

"Sure." I simply responded.

Theodore sat down with me on the breakfast counter holding my hand, staring at me with guilty eyes. The man was so clueless about everything, I doubt if I wrapped up in a box with a red bow tie, Theodore would get it.

"Are you okay?"

"Finally." I half laugh.

"I'm sorry my dear, it's just a situation at work. Tell me what's going on in that head of yours?"

"Nothing." I say and he lifts a perfectly arched brow "Everything, meeting your parents, I need a phone... I've been 3 days in the dark, I gotta check up on Julia, my parents."

"Yes true, I promise we'll get that sorted out in the morning." Theodore assures me. "Anyway, I've been meaning to ask you, how did you ever managed to convince your parents?"

I gulp, shit.

The phone rings in that moment making me jump in my seat, it was Grayson, I sigh in relief, I hadn't prepared a lie to tell Theodore. I had a lot going in my head and now I had one more thing to worry.

A full circle of lies, good job - My conscious taps me on the shoulder.

As soon as we leave the building I can't help to notice the difference between their taste in cars, Theo drove a Toyota 86 and Grayson a Nissan Leaf. I sit in the back and Theodore sits in the front.

"Good morning love birds." He greeted us wearing that beautiful large smile, exactly like Theodore's, he was always so charismatic.

We greeted him at the same time, making him laugh.

"So you two are already in that phase?"

"What phase?" I ask

"Finishing each other sentences, telepathic flirting, underwear switching."

"Jesus Grayson mind your business!" I kick on his seat cracking him up.

"Just drive brother." Theodore's dry tone orders him, while his attention is still stuck on the phone screen.