32. The Queen of Fuck-Ups

"They found out Madison, they found out you took off to see Theodore! It's over Maddie and I couldn't even reach you."

Julia's voice in her head was a constant punch to the stomach.

Her biggest fear came to life.

She build up her courage, feeling her heart pound on her palms as she held the phone, gathering every once of courage left to dial her mother's number.

"+27847.. No... +278465.. Crap!" She almost threw the phone away. Madison was a nerve wreck, she wanted Theodore next to her in that moment, but she needed to call first... and then she would call him.

It rang once, twice until she finally heard a voice on the other end.

"Mom."

"Madison..." Her voice broke. "Where is this number from? +81."

"I... I am in Japan mom, I came here to -" Madison stuttered.

"To what Madison Swanepoel? Please tell me to what, because your father and I can't even begin to understand why would you lie to us like that?" She spit angrily now.

"Mom, listen to me please, please don't be mad. I know-" Madison bit her bottom lip nervously, looking up to keep a tear from falling.

"You know nothing Madison! Nothing! You have no idea the affliction you put us through when we spoke to Julia's mother and she also had no idea but it wasn't her daughter who took off to a place 12 thousand km away! The idiotic expressions me and your father had when we realized you lied to us so bluntly! You lied to us Madison! And all for what? A man? Are you that stupid?" She spilled words out furiously, letting all her anger and sadness out like punches on the other line.

Madison didn't have anything in her favor to defend herself, she knew she deserved this.

"We are worried sick and we are furious, how could you do this? How could you be so reckless?" Listening to her mother break down on the phone was the worst feeling a daughter could have.

"Mom... I am fine, please forgive me, tell dad I'm sorry. I am really fine." She stuttered.

"Your father doesn't even wanna hear about you! Answer me Madison how could you let that old pervert manipulate you like this? What did he give you an exchange? How are you even paying for anything there? Actually don't say it, I know! Your father was right, you're just a warm place for him to finish at night!"

"He didn't manipulate me! There was no sex in exchange involved, nothing, he simply asked me if I wanted to be his plus one and I just had to say yes or no! I met his parents mom, his brother, they're such good people!"

Dora laughed, a frustrated, sad laugh.

"I can't believe you, you don't sound like my daughter."

"No mom, it's the truth!" Madison helplessly tried to convince her.

"And you know what hurts the most about all of this Madison?" She spilled hurtful truths "I supported you through all of it, I made your father's mind, I went along with this madness. It's absolute madness and I should've known! Right. Under. Our. Noses, Madison Swanepoel."

"Mom, I swear, I never meant to hurt anyone but I knew if I asked you guys, you would never let me come!" Madison sobbed, tears running down her face.

"Precisely Madison! Because we needed to earn his trust, know who he is and for once, he didn't even asked us! He went on our backs, suggested you with a couple of pretty words and a pitty show act! Madison people, men, are not good, you are damn lucky everything is okay! But it kills me to imagine just what you have to do for everything to be okay..."