40. Fuckboy Portrait

I was placing the last cups on the cupboard, organizing them by color, Jules had a specific mug color, olive green, for all the cups she brought. Whatever was different was mine.

I sigh, feeling my arms give in after a day of moving things in and out, even with the help of everyone, I was ridiculously out of shape. I find my mind drifting to a certain 40 year old that was the epiphany of fitness at his age.

I shake my head - Stop thinking about him Madison - I tell myself.

It had been such a busy day in the apartment, our friends, Julia's parents, Hiro and Grayson helped us move everything in. I noticed all morning Julia and Grayson eyeing each other from the brief moments I caught them together, or watched Grayson take unusually unnecessary small things to Julia's room where she was decorating and redecorating and changing her mind every 5 minutes. Hiro and I kept our distances, with an exceptional smile here and there, it was impossible not to smile back at him.

It was weird enough to have the manager in my home.

By 6 PM everyone had left, having our own place was a great feeling of independence but even with Jules, it was somewhat lonesome. I didn't know why, I always imagined moving in with a boyfriend or fiancé - I smile thinking how life is unexpected - Jules is my fiancé.

After a while I watch her from the corner of my eye wandering around the apartment like a lost kitten, I could feel she wanted to say something but couldn't voice it out. I don't ask, I'm too focused on finishing the kitchen and head to bed.

"Madison... ehm, are you hungry?" Julia asks clumsily unfolding a spinach lasagna her mother had left for us.

"Yeah, sure." I frown. "Why you being so weird Julianne Davis?"

"Oh my god no, I haven't heard that since I was 8 and shat in my sleep." She hides her face embarrassed, Julia always hated her real name. We laugh at it. "Just Julia or Jules."

"Fine Jules, what's up? I feel like something's eating you up."

She turns on the oven and slips the lasagna inside, still reluctant to voice her thoughts.

"Ah." Julia nervously laughs. "Mads... would it be okay with you if I started seeing... ahm... Grayson?"

I lift my eyebrows in shock.

"No? Ok, Bad idea." She instantly takes a step back from her own intentions. I stop her.

"No, it's about time, all that eye-fucking thing during the afternoon, I was wondering when you'd come to your senses."

Julia giggles and elbows me playfully.

"Madison I'm serious!"

I close the cabinet doors and turn to face her.

"I mean, are you certain of this? You do remember Grayson is the same age as Theodore and you like many other people were shocked by our relationship."

She nods.

"I never..." she laughs between her thoughts "...thought I'd say this but when I'm with him, I forget he's 42, I think looks play a huge role in this but... He makes me feel good, he's insanely hot and his personality, have you seen him? You barely notice the guy is 20 years our senior... We get along all too well." She smiles faintly. "And besides, it's just a fling, nothing else, it'll be over in a few weeks."

I could tell she was falling for him. Julia was super soft talking about Grayson.

"Jules, you're crushing so hard on my ex's twin."

Julia folds her arms around her face, hiding herself and we crack up in the middle of the kitchen.

"Oh no, no, no we are not getting into anything serious, he is leaving in two weeks and that's that. But you' sure, you're okay? I'm just worried because... They look exactly alike, and I don't want this be a burden for you, always seeing him around and bringing back memories of Theo."