Chapter 12

That morning, Kiara was sitting at her desk staring out her window. The teacher's voice fading into the background as she though about the night before.

Kiara's mind wasn't on the results or how she did on the exam, no, instead it was on the exam itself. She had talked to Mephisto about what had happened— apparently to the exorcists watching, she had just froze where she stood, when she was suddenly transported into the void— Mephisto wrote it off as a response to the fear from the sudden ghoul attack. Some believed it while others were skeptical. He told Kiara to be careful when talking to the professors. Their conversation led to Kiara reporting on what exactly happened to her— when she mentioned the name of the man Mephisto had visibly tensed up. There was something about that man, he was so similar to Kiara.

He can't be my dad, right? Last I heard he was beaten by exorcists and sealed away in Gehenna with all his strength stripped away. There's no way that he could make any contact with anyone in Assiah. She thought. She had bugged Mephisto about him when she was twelve. He ended up telling her about both her parents— not a lot, but enough to satisfy her twelve year old self.

She knew her dad was a complete demon, Mephisto hadn't gone into details about him specifically he just said that he was a powerful demon feared in both Gehenna and Assiah. And her mother was the only person that could get close to him.

"-iara, Kiara!" A voice called, snapping the girl out of her thoughts. She blinked and looked up, seeing Bon standing over her desk, the two of them, along with Konekomaru and Shima were in the same class in the academy so most days after school they walked to the cram school together.

"Sorry. Got lost in thought." She said, shoving her notebook into the bag. "Time to head out?"

"Yeah, and we'd better hurry, they're giving us our exam result back." Konekomaru said.

***

Not too long after she got to her cram classroom, Kiara found herself standing in front of Mephisto.

"Eins, Zwie, Drei!" He exclaimed, starting off with his usual catchphrase. "Congratulations to you all for being promoted to Exwires!"

"All Right!" Bon cheered.

Kiara looked around to see everyone celebrating, even she was celebrating a bit. It was nice to know that everyone had passed— Though how Yamada and Takara passed was going to be a mystery to her.

"Now then, to celebrate your promotion," He started again and Kiara looked at him, knowing exactly what he was going to say next. "I shall treat you to a fest of monja!"

Kiara fought a rising groan, listening as her classmates complained.

"Only monja, huh?" Bon asked.

"At least make it a barbecue!" Rin complained.

"You're asking a guy who eats ramen two meals a day for something fancier?" Kiara scoffed, "Honestly, lower your expectations."

"You're talkin' as if you knew this was coming." Rin said, looking at Kiara.

"I did know. It's not that hard when you've know the guy as well as I do."

"You what?" Rin freaked, looking at Kiara with wide eyes.

"You mean to tell me you personally know the director?" Shima asked, looking at Kiara with a horrified look on his face.

"Unfortunately yes."

Mephisto grinned, "Now kiddies! Let's all have a feast!"

Later that evening, Kiara was sitting around a small barbecue, the smell of monja making it's way to her nose. Her stomach growled and she realized that she hadn't really eaten anything today other than an apple at lunch. She was growing kind of impatient with waiting for it too cook, and she watched as both both Mephisto and Yukio had broke off from the group and to exchange a few words. After Yukio returned, Kiara looked to see that Mephisto was talking on his phone, his back towards the group. It didn't take long after Yukio got back that the Monja was cooked.