Chapter 21

Running through the forest, Kiara summoned her sword, knowing that she was probably going to have to use it. Currently she was trying to listen for any of the others in hopes that she could get to them and make a team up because— knowing Yukio— the lanterns they needed to light were most likely going to be some sort of demon.

The sound of chirping brought Kiara out of her thoughts, and she looked around her to see some moths flying around her. She stopped running and looked around, shining her light on each of them to get a better look. Each of them radiated a small energy— enough to let Kiara know that there weren't any run of the mill moth, she assumed they were Chuchi, demons that possessed insects. Standing still, she noticed that none of them were actually moving towards her to attack and instead the moment they made contact with her they started fluttering around peacefully.

Kiara looked around at the Chuchi in confusion. She was used to small demons— like col tars— avoiding her because of the demonic energy she held. She had assumed it was because they immediately felt fear by being near her. But starting to flutter peacefully the moment they made contact? That's never happened before.

Kiara glanced from the Chuchi to the flashlight in her hand, getting the feeling that that was what they were attracted to the light emitting from her flashlight— almost as if it was being whispered to her. Placing it on the ground, Kiara watched as they moved from her and crowded around the light. Kiara slowly stepped away, watching as the moths seemed to not have any interest in her anymore.

"What the actual fuck." Kiara muttered as she backed away slowly before turning and continuing on the forest path. As she walked, the Chuchi would sometimes flutter up to her curiously before fluttering away, as if they weren't some blood sucking demon.

As she walked, Kiara spotted a light source up ahead and started walking towards it, thinking that maybe it was a lantern. When she got closer and found out the source was from a flashlight, she was slight disappointed. Cutting through some of the forest, Kiara spotted Izumo not to much ahead of her, her familiars fighting off the Chuchi trying to get to her.

"Hey, polka dot! Turn your flashlight off!" Kiara shouted, and Izumo looked back at her for a split second before turning off her flashlight, the moths slowly starting to flutter away.

"What are you doing here? We're supposed to be competing against each other." Izumo asked, turning to look at Kiara with her two familiars floating

"You really think that? What's the main thing that Teach has been telling us since the exwire exam?" Kiara asked, walking up to Izumo, returning her sword back into the necklace. "It's that Exorcists work in teams. Besides, he never specified how many people could be in a slot."

"What? You asking me to work with you?"

"Well, I mean, it might just be easier, dont you think? Look, if I'm wrong, I'll let you get the slot to go on missions." Kiara held out her hand, "So, what do you say?"

Izumo looked at her hand, taking it after a few seconds of hesitation. "Fine."

As the two walked through the forest, there was a sudden flash of Blue that caused the two girls to stop walking and look behind them, the both of them blinking to readjust their eyes.

"What was that? A demon?" Izumo asked.

"Something like that." Kiara said, scratching the back of her head before turning and continuing down the path. "I don't think we have anything to worry about. Let's just keep walking."

Izumo hesitated before following Kiara, the silent walk to find the peg lantern continuing on.

***