Chapter 18

A week had passed since the amusement park mission and Kiara found herself standing in front of a familiar building— a building Kiara had wished to never see again. Towering in front of her was the one and only True Cross orphanage. Kiara wasn't scared of retuning, no, but thinking of the possibility that she might encounter her childhood tormentors made her really just want to go back to her dorm room and go back to sleep.

Yukio cleared his throat, pulling Kiara's attention from the building to where he and Shura were standing in front of the gathered class, "This is True Cross Orphange. We're here because there have been reports of a low level demon inhabiting this area. The suspected demons that have inhabited this area are Goblins."

"What about the people inside?" Konekomaru asked. "Won't we have to make sure they're safe?"

Who cares about their safety. Kiara thought rolling her eyes. They could all get attacked for all I care.

"The caretakers and kids inside will be coming out momentarily." Yukio said, adjusting his glasses and glancing at Kiara for a second before looking back at the rest of the class. "Once they're all out safely, we will be going in."

"So we're going into a creepy old orphanage to track down some goblins. How fun." Izumo stated blandly.

"Once you find the demon, hold it back and notify either me or Ms. Kirigakure. Do not try to fight the demons head on by yourself. Now, listen closely as I list off the groups." Yukio pulled out his notebook and started listing off names. "Miwa and Kamaki, Okumura and Takara—"

"Aw man, I'm with puppet guy?" Rin complained.

Yukio ignored his brother's complaint and continued listing off pairings. "Moriyama and Shima, and Suguro and Pheles."

"Well, it could be worse." Bon muttered.

"Admit it, you're happy to be paired up with me." Kiara teased.

"Oh shut up. I'm just glad I'm with someone who actually pulls their weight." He said, crossing his arms and looking over at Takara.

Kiara laughed, "Yeah, sure, that's definitely the only reason."

"Oh my god, is that who I think it is?" Someone whispered from behind her, and Kiara glanced over her shoulder to see a group of kids and teens walking out of the orphanage.

"Oh good, it looks like everyone has been cleared out." Yukio said. "You all wait here while I talk to the head of the orphanage." With that he walked away from the group and Kiara finally turned around, seeing everyone staring directly at her. Once she turned around, the whispers immediately started and people started pointing at her.

"Kiara, do they know you or something?" Shima asked, leaning towards Kiara with his hands in his pocket. "It is you they're pointing at, right?"

"Don't get your hopes up about any of them wanting you, Pinkie. They're pointing at me." Kiara said, "I had hoped to never come back here but it seems that things didn't go my way. Not like I expected to avoid this place for the rest of my life."

"Alright everyone." Yukio said, walking up to the class and stopping the conversation. "Each of you will be taking different sections of the orphanage. Remember, if you see any ghouls, contact either Miss Kirigakure or myself. If there's one, there are most likely more along with it. Everyone understand?"

"Yes sir!" Everyone exclaimed and with that they each got the section they were assigned and headed inside the building.

Kiara and Bon headed up the stairs to the second floor, walking through the hallway quietly.