Chapter 17

A while later, Kiara found herself sitting in a small interrogation room, the only light coming from the sunlight coming through the bars above her. She was tapping on the table in front of her with boredom, her tail swaying through the air. It was a relief to get it out from around her waist, keeping it hidden really was annoying. Maybe after this she could keep her tail out in the open.

I doubt it. The others don't know so Mephisto probably wouldn't allow it. She thought. She pulled out her phone, seeing that it had no service before turning it off. "Seriously, they couldn't of given me something to do? What a drag." She laid her head on the table in front of her, the cold steel making her shiver slightly.

"Come on, put your head up." Shura said, and Kiara looked up to see Shura walking into the room with what Kiara could only assume was Rin's sword.

"Hm, taking weapons? Shall I hand you mine?" Kiara asked, leaning back in her chair and reaching up to the necklace around her neck.

"No need. I only took Rin's because the kid needs to learn a lesson." She pulled out a chair on the opposite side of the table, sitting down and leaning forwards with her elbows on the table. "I have some questions for you."

"I mean, I assumed as much? Why else would I be in here if you didn't?" Kiara said.

"Of course. You already know my name, but I'm Kirigakure Shura, Upper First Class Exorcist."

"Pheles Kiara, exwire, but you already know that, uh, something you wouldn't know... I'm around three fourths demon, daughter of I believe The Crow Demon of Fear and... uh... a half demon woman that I have absolutely no idea the identity of." She said.

Shura looked at Kiara with a startled expression on her face. "Did I hear you right? The Crow Demon of Fear, as in, the demon who tried to terrorize the entire human race in order to rule over all of Assiah?"

"I mean, I don't know of any other Crow Demon of Fear, so yeah? I would assume that very same demon?" Kiara said with a shrug. "Honestly I don't know much about him. That damned clown always clams up whenever I ask him about it and the only thing I've gotten from books is the confirmation of him being my dad and how he was sealed away in Gehenna by an exorcist. I also know that he's probably the reason I don't feel fear."

"You don't feel fear?" Shura asked. "Now that's interesting. Are you sure you're not part of a scheme that Mephisto has made?"

"Not that I'm aware of, but you can never tell with that clown. So who knows, I might be. Look, I know your suspicious of me, but it's been my goal to become an exorcist ever once I was a little girl and I'm not going to let you prevent me from obtaining that goal."

Shura looked at her, a small smile appearing on her face, "I like your guts. Ah, what the hell, I'm sure you have good intentions, so I won't report you to the Vatican just yet. But I'll be keeping a close eye on both you and Okumura in the future, so know that if anything happens that causes me to be suspicious of your loyalty—"

"You'll report me. Got it." Kiara said, standing up, "Now, if you'll let me, I'd love to get back to my dorm, I'm... really tired after everything that's happened today and I hear Netflix calling my name."

"Well, I see no reason to keep you here, you're not injured so you don't need to go to the infirmary, and there's currently no suspicion of you turning or going out of control, so you're free to go. You need a key to get back?"

Kiara shook her head and lifted a key ring, taking off the key to her dorm building. "No, I got it." She stood up and walked towards the door, giving Shura a wave, "I'll see you around, I guess— if you're keeping a close watch on me that is."

"Yeah, see ya around, kid." Shura said, and with that Kiara put the key into the key hole and turned it, stepping through the door and into her dorm.

"I want to sleep for a week." She muttered to herself.

***

The next morning, Kiara found herself staring at the front of the classroom in shock. When Shura said she would be keeping a close eye on her and Rin she didn't expect Shura to become one of their teachers. Becoming one of their teachers was probably the last thing Kiara would of thought of.

"How's everyone doin'? I've been transferred from the Vatican Headquarters to the Japan branch! My name is Shura Kirigakure and I'm eighteen years old!" She let out a small giggle and dropped the act she had on, "Nah, I'm kidding! I've been in class with y'all for the last three months, so technically we already met. Nice to meet ya again!" Her expression grew a bit more serious, though she still had a smile on her face, "Anywho, I'll be teaching you guys magic circles and seals, and eh, swordsmanship too."

In front of her, Bon raised his hand hesitantly. "Miss Kirigakure?"

"Hm? Yeah, what's up Mr. Suguro?"

"Why were you pretending to be a student?"

"Grown ups have their reasons. You wouldn't understand kid." Shura said, her eyes moving from Bon to Rin to Kiara before she let out a short laugh.

"Um, ma'am?" Izumi said, standing up. "Professor Neuhaus was teaching magic circles and seals, changing instructors mid-semester is kind of confusing."

"The professor's on maternity leave, yeah!" Shura lied and Kiara resisted the urge to slam her head into her desk.

"Professor Neuhaus is a man!"

"Oh, okay then, Paternity leave. Whatever, what do I know? Ask the presect."

Kiara held back a groan- Shura probably wasn't convincing anyone this rate. He let out a sigh and leaned her head on her hand and looking towards the door as it opened to reveal Rin walking in.

"Sorry I'm really late. You see, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night and I went up to the roof to take a nap but no one came to wake me up." He apologized, looking from the class to the front of the room, where his eyes widened upon seeing Shura.

"Don't make your excuses there, come on in. I won't get mad at you." Shura said.

"Huh? What are you doing here?" Rin asked pointing at Shura.

"Never mind that, just get your butt in your seat." Shura said, and Rin walked from the front of the room to his seat, periodically glancing at Shura as he walked.

"Hey, don't you think he seems different somehow?" Bon asked, leaning back in his seat.

"Could it be that something happened?" Shima said.

"Something definitely happened, that I know for sure." Kiara said.

"How do you know?" Konekomaru asked.

"I just do." Kiara said with a shrug, looking towards the front of the classroom where Shura was starting to the lesson.

"All right then, now that we're all here, let's get started. I think I'll have someone read the chapter on Geomancy in Seal Art 101. Okay, I'm picking the tardy Okumura!"

Kiara watched as. Rin looked up at Shura, then clipped a small silver hair clip in his hair before standing up and starting to read. "Uh... according to ancient documents on geonacy— geomancy-" Rin started.

"Hey' he's the same old Okumura after all." Shima said with amusement.

"True, I guess I got it wrong." Bon muttered.

"No. You're not completely wrong. He seems more... determined than he did before." Kiara said, leaning her head on her hand and looking at the boy. But no matter the amount of determination he had, Rin still had a long way to go if he wanted to defeat Satan himself.