~L~ Broken Piece

(Y/n)'s POV

  "So, what's going on today?" I asked, cleaning my nails.
  "Search and possibly rescue. Loki's gone missing from Asgard, and telltale signs show he's on Earth. But there's multiple spots, most likely to throw us off." Steve said, and I nodded.
  "It's unusual, but we're using strategy. (Y/n), you search the ocean bed where his strongest signal was, and the others will go from there. Ready?" Tony asked from the front. I got the small breathing mask he made months back, taking it all in. It had been a while since Loki was around, and I honestly sensed that something was wrong.
  "Thanks for the last second heads up, crew. Open the door." I said, and they did. I leaped out of the quinjet, straight into the water. It was good that I was in the only suit that could get wet, and I thought about that. They most likely had to run out here on a short notice, but nevertheless they told me minutes before. I sighed, watching the bubbles from the breath float up until the sun made me look away. I looked around the reef, checking the map Tony sent as I went along. Eventually I went to the very center, bored. As I looked around, I noticed something. Ice, in the warm water. That peaked my interest, and I felt around. The water was colder to my left, closer to the absolute center of the where the energy spike was. I moved towards it, getting goosebumps from the cold. I immediately saw hair, black as night. It was Loki. My adrenaline kicked, and I grabbed him. He was limp, but cold as ever. I took that as a good sign and headed to the land.
  "Come on, you heavy-ass Asgardian." I groaned, laying him down on the sand. I knocked him once in the stomach, knowing the energy spike was him protecting himself. He coughed, sitting up. I patted his back, and he looked to me.
  "(Y/n)?" He said weakly, his icy blue-green eyes looking up at me.
  "Hey, you alright?" I asked, seeing his saddened expression.
  "No. N-no I'm not." He whimpered, a sob escaping him. He curled his legs up to his chest, and I cocked my head. He flinched slightly as I stroked his hair, relaxing after a second and moving closer.
  "What's going on, Loki?" I asked, and he shook his head.
  "I won't speak of it. Not here." He said, and I nodded.
  "Will you be okay with coming to the tower?" I asked, looking into his eyes as he looked up.
  "Please don't lock me up." He pleaded, curling up more. It was unlike him to do this, to be so sad to the point where he sounded like a guilty child in trouble.
  "I won't."

~Soon After~

  "Who struck a nerve? He's quiet." Tony asked, and I shushed him.
  "Don't. He's hurting, leave him alone." I said, and Tony watched as I kneeled down in front of the Asgardian.
  "I hope you know what you're doing." He said, walking away to the cockpit.
  "Hey, do you need anything? We've got food, and anything you need." I said, grabbing his hands. They closed around mine gently, twice the size of my own.
  "No, thank you though." He replied softly, and I sighed. We eventually made it back, and I waved off the team before they could begin to enforce rules. They gave me a look of confusion, and I just shooed them.
  "We can go to the library, or my room if you want some space." I offered, and he looked at me. He rubbed his elbow, holding it for a second while he thought.
  "Your room suits fine." He said, and I led him there. He sat on the edge of my bed, looking lost in thought. His nose scrunched slightly as his brows furrowed, and his eyes looked around some. I took my shoes off, flicking a somewhat damp hair from my face.
  "Loki, what happened?" I asked, and he let out a shaky breath.
  "I've had nightmares for weeks, and every time someone I know has died in them. My mother's death replays as well, every time I shut my eyes. Today, my brother and I got into an argument." He explained, the story pouring out. Thor had said some harsh things, and pointed him in the direction of the door. In a fit of rage and sadness, he stormed out, leaving behind wreckage. He came here, his magical flares were a call for help. By the time he was done baring his soul, he couldn't speak through the tears. Everything about his past was ranted out, and I could tell he had kept it all in. I went over, pulling him to me. He rested his head under mine, his hands tucked closely against his body. I stroked his hair, and he stopped talking, shaking as he cried.
  "Hey, shhh. I've got you, I've got you. Everything's okay now, it's okay." I whispered, and he pulled me against him as he stood up. His head nuzzled my neck, his hands softly gripping the fabric of my shirt.
  "Would it be alright.... If I stayed for a while?" He asked, and I pulled back to look at him.
  "Of course, stay as long as you need." I said, wiping his tears. I sat him back down, allowing him to make himself comfortable.
  "Will the Avengers allow me to stay?" He asked, and I sighed.
  "I'm gonna go talk to them. Feel free to wander around my floor. The library is down the hall, and so is the kitchen." I said, and he nodded. I went down to the team, where they were talking.
  "So, care to explain Rock Of Ages?" Tony asked, and I thought of the best way to sum it up.
  "He has a lot going on, back at home. Him and his brother got into a bad argument, and he's been holding too much in for too long. He wants to stay for a while till things calm down." I explained, and the team perked up.
  "After what he did? (Y/n), that's ridiculous!" Steve said, and I grumbled.
  "He didn't want to do any of that! That was his mind under control. Please guys, just give him one last chance...... You did the same for Natasha, and for me. I've done shittier things than just killing, y'know. At least give him the chance to earn some trust." I said, and they got together. Soon enough, Tony turned to me.
  "Alright. He can stay, but he's staying on your floor to sleep. That, and you have to be with him at all times. Got that?" He stated, and I nodded.
  "Good, now if you'll excuse me, I've got a Norse God to talk to." I said, going back up to my floor. I went to my room, seeing Loki curled up on my bed. His eyes were closed, opening slowly as I came in.
  "What did they say?" He asked softly, sitting up.
  "You can stay. I'll have to stay by you if we leave this floor, and you'll sleep up here. That sound okay?" I said, and he nodded. I moved his hair from his face, smiling.
  "Thank you, for being the nicest person I've met." He said, holding my hand again.
  "That says something, considering I'm quite the asshole to the team." I joked, making him chuckle. Hours went by, and I showed him around. I already had a spare room next to mine, so he made himself at home there. He had gone to the library for a while, seeing what he might like. I layed on the floor, watching TV as I did leg exercises. (Brought to you by my weak ass knees.) The news was on, when suddenly a noise caught my attention. I muted the TV, hearing a familiar song. I laughed to myself, Loki must've found my little music player. It mostly had choral music, and I hummed as I walked to the library. Loki looked perplexed, curiosity on his features.
  "What is this music?" I asked as I walked in, and I giggled.
  "That would be Ad Astra. It's one of my favorites." I replied, and he listened more.
  "What does Ad Astra mean?" He asked, making me smile at the hint of happiness and wonder in his eyes.
  "To the stars. What does music on Asgard sound like?" I asked, and he lit up.
  "It's very magical. Most music is with instruments, really only special and oddly specific occasions would have vocal music. I think you have a great taste for music." He said, making me smile more.
  "Thank you. Well, it's getting late. I'm going to bed. If you need anything, or want to get off this floor for awhile, you know where to find me." I said, and he bid me goodnight.

~Midnight A Few Weeks Later~

I couldn't sleep. An a normal night I slept so deep that I was dead to the world, but tonight was apparently not one of those. I grumbled to myself, rolling out of bed. Wandering to the kitchen, I managed to make a snack, as silently as possible.
  "Oh, good to see that I'm not the only one awake." A voice said behind me, and I jolted. I turned to see Loki, holding a cup of something.
  "Yeah, just couldn't seem to sleep. Sorry about my appearance, I didn't think you'd be awake." I said, gesturing to my hair. My cheeks burned in slight embarrassment at the fact that I was only in a baggy shirt and women's boxers, and I closed the fridge door. Drink in hand, I leaned against the counter.
  "You're okay. I've been meaning to ask..... Am I a burden? I've been here for a while now, and I don't want to interfere with anything you have to do." He asked, and I put down my drink.
  "Loki, don't ever think for one second that you're a problem here. Sure, the team may be a little hesitant to trust, but they're like that with just about anyone. You're here to be comfortable, and to be safe. You are not a bother, I promise. And if I'm honest, it's been a little better since you came. I've had more fun with you here than when you weren't, and that's something." I said, and we were only a few inches away from each other. A small smile played on his lips, his eyes finding mine. So many emotions floated around in them, as did memories.
  "I just feel like.... If I leave, I won't be the same. You've changed something in me, something no one else can." He said, moving a loose strand of hair to sit behind his ear. It sat like a black lion's mane, unkept and pure. In what little moonlight was coming in, I could see him in his true form. Maybe not Jotun, but him as he is. He was broken, baring himself to me to let me fill in the cracks with warm gold.
  "Then don't leave. Like I said, stay as long as you want." I said, cupping his cheek. He leaned into my touch, eyes fluttering closed momentarily. His smile grew, and he held my free hand.
  "Then I guess I'll stay."

~Next Day~

  "What's got you two so tired? Late night skinny dipping in the pool or something?" Natasha asked, and I snickered.
  "Nah, just restless. Thank goodness late night movies were on." I said, laying across Loki's lap.
  "You two are getting along well." Steve said, smiling. He was okay with Loki after a while, and they had something in common, which was needing to catch up with the times. It was Loki's turn to laugh, and he played with a strand of my hair.
  "She's not that hard to befriend. She's just a bit stubborn."
  "Like you're one to talk."
  "You love me though."
  "That is something I can't and won't deny."