Blood

CHAPTER 26

VICTORIA

And she did murder Hector. She never thought she’d use a knife as a weapon. A tool to end life. But she had to do what she had to do. As he laid helplessly on the carpeted living room, with all of her strength, Victoria drove the blade straight to his heart. His dark eyes slowly closed and his body went still.

Everything was a blur to Victoria. Hindi nya alam kung saan nya nakuha ang lakas ng loob na iyon para humantong ang lahat rito. Her killing someone. Ang tanging nasa isip nya ay ang kagustuhang makitang muli si Ramcel.

Siguro malakas pa rin sya sa Diyos sa kabila ng mga pagkakamali nya sa buhay. Hindi nya alam kung paano nya nagawang labanan si Hector. Must be combination of adrenaline and desparation. Apart from her bloody lips, sprained ankle and not to mention her probably broken ribs, Victoria survived.

Pinagtulungan nila ito ni Monica at sinamantala ang injury nito. They were both determined to get away from the island but Victoria lost her only friend on that hell. The bullet was supposed to be for her but Monica sacrificed herself to protect Victoria. Monica died for her. 

Victoria didn’t know the extent of her injury until she tried to stand and walk. She winced in pain. She was able to take steps few feet away from Hector’s body. It was difficult. She slowly sank to the floor and sat panting beside Monica’s body.

She needed to catch her breath. Magpapahinga lang sya saglit. Pagkatapos nun, lilisanin na nya ang lugar na iyon. Hector’s helicopter was waiting for her. Once she reached main land, she would find her way back to Ramcel.

Would Ramcel still accept her when she already became someone else? A murderer. “But you had to do it,” her mind said. “For freedom and to be with Ram.”

She looked at her bloody hands and at the silver knife still on Hector’s body. Victoria never saw knives as weapons. They were her best friends in the kitchen. Because of him, she could no longer look at knives without seeing a lifeless body and lots of blood.

Makakaalis na nga ba sya? She lost track of time. She stopped counting days. Finally, she’d be able to escape from him. He’s dead. He could no longer hurt her or Ramcel. For that she felt relieved.

But the flicker of hope she felt disappeared when Hector started moving and rising. How? He’s supposed to be dead! Tama nga ba si Monica? That he’s really a monster?

Hindi nakagalaw si Victoria. She was too weak and too shocked to move. Wala syang nagawa kundi pagmasdan kung paano inangat ni Hector ang baril na nasa tabi nito saka inumang sa kanya.

No! After everything, she would still die? That’s so unfair.

Totoo nga siguro ang sinasabi nila. That everything- your whole life, would flash infront of you before you die. Dahil sa mga sandaling iyon habang nakatitig sya sa baril na nakatutok sa kanya, bumalik ang unang sandaling nakilala nya si Ramcel, na kahit may dumi ito sa mukha at may dala-dalang walis tingting, she still found her adorable and interesting. Her grayish eyes were penetrating and beautiful.

Naalala din nya ang unang beses na pinuntahan sya nito sa bahay at dinalhan ng mangga. How they spent the whole day talking about books they’ve read. How she liked seeing Ramcel’s rare smiles. She also remembered how hurt Ramcel was when she avoided her after learning her gender preference.

Matagal na nyang pinagsisihan iyon at nagpapasalamat syang napatawad sya ni Ramcel.  She would never ever forget the wonderful feeling from their first kiss. That joyous feeling when she saw her again in New York after how many years of not seeing and talking to each other. That elation she felt when they tied the knot. Their blissful honeymoon. Everything she did with Ramcel flashed before her eyes.

Everything. Including how she broke her heart when she had feelings for Hector. That was the biggest mistake she made. Hindi nya sinadya but it wasn’t a valid excuse dahil nasaktan nya si Ramcel. She hated herself so much for being weak. 

She wanted to make it up to her. Because whatever fleeting feelings she felt for him, wasn’t enough to extinguish her love for Ramcel. Gusto nyang ipakita rito. Gusto nyang patunayan habam-buhay. But Hector snatched that chance from her.

Odds were really not in her favor. Siguro sa paningin ng tadhana hindi sya karapat-dapat sa pagmamahal ni Ramcel. Kaya kahit anong gawin nyang takasan si Hector, hindi sya magtatagumpay. Ito ang parusa sa kanyang mga pagkakamali.

Napaluha na lamang si Victoria. Hindi na nya kailanman masisilayan ang mga mata ni Ramcel. Hindi na nya makikitang muli ang napakaganda nitong ngiti.

“I love you, Baby,” she whispered and closed her eyes then waited for the bullet to pierce her heart.