Chapter 22 - Sam + Susan

Authors note: Just wanted to say sorry for not uploading in like 2 weeks :( 

And, this is not the ending. I thought I should say that because to me it kind of sounds like an ending to a story but it's not. ONE CHAPTER LEFT AND THEN THE EPILOGUE. I DON'T WANT IT TO END!

Chapter 22 – Sam’s P.O.V

We had been running for at least 10 minutes. I turned to look behind me, still running. The coast was clear, no soldiers in sight. My breath was heavy as I slowed down and came to a stop. I was still holding Susan’s hand and she glared at me.

“What do we do?” she asked, panicking.

I moved a step forward and I felt her heavily breathing on my face. I pushed some hair out of her face and tucked it behind her ear. She was completely covered in bruises. I gently pulled her into a hug and rested my head on her shoulder. She was shaking. I released her and rest my forehead against hers.

“He raped you?” I asked, trying not to believe the word ‘sex’ from Zalagon’s mouth.

She softly nodded her head. One tear fell from her eye and she looked in pain.

“He won’t hurt you again” I growled. “He won’t do anything ever again” I whispered.

She half smiled for a second and then it faded. “Eisha is dead” she whispered, barely audible.

“And Lucas” I whispered. Then it hit me. “Lucas is dead” I said. “Lucas is dead.” I took a step back and stared at Susan. “He died protecting me” I croaked. “He died because of me.”

“No” said Susan.

I fell to the floor. “He was so brave. He was everything I would want to be” I whined.

“Who was he?” whispered Susan, crouching in front of me.

“My best friend.” I replied. “He was one of the soldiers who took me. He helped me escape and save you.”

Susan didn’t say anything.

I lifted my hand to my face. I was crying. “It’s my fault he’s dead. And it’s my fault that servant is dead. She was your friend, right?”

Susan nodded. “She was the only person who seemed to care about me. She was kind.”

I nodded. “We lost someone each.”

“We did. But Sam, it’s not your fault.” She gently smiled at me.

“Lucas was my hero” I whispered to myself.

“And your mine” she smiled, removing my hands from my face.

She lent her head forward and pressed her lips to mine. She pushed me to the ground so I was lying down and I continued to kiss her. I wrapped my arms around her waist and held her tight. She moved her lips away from mine and sighed.

“Tragic day, isn’t it?” I whispered.

“There’s something I need to tell you Sam and I don’t know how you’re going to take it”

Her face turned pale and I sat up so we were both sitting, looking at each other.

Susan’s P.O.V

“What is it?” asked Sam, worried.

I stood up. “Sam” I croaked letting a few tears fall from my eyes. “I’m….I’m pregnant” I stuttered.

Sam turned as white as a ghost and he didn’t say anything, or move, or blink. His eyes were staring at the ground.

“Sam?” I whispered, slightly scared.

There was a long pause and finally Sam spoke. “Is it Zalagon’s?” he growled.

I quickly pulled him to his feet. “No, no. God, no.”

His eyes looked at me. “Are you sure?”

“Yes! Certain!” I yelled out in a hurry. “I found out I was pregnant before he did what he did.” It hurt me to think about what had happened. I was so relieved that the baby was Sam’s.

Sam hugged me tightly and whispered in my ear “Our new life starts right now”

He pulled away and smiled at me. “I can’t believe I’m going to be a dad” he beamed. “I wonder if it’s a boy or a girl. I’d love it to be a girl. It would be another mini you” he said, excitedly.

I was so glad he was happy. “Or if it’s a boy it will be another mini you” I smiled.

He laughed. “This is the worst and best day of my life. I lost my best friend but I found my love and found out she's carrying my child"

I softly smiled. “Lucas seemed like a good guy”

“He really was” Sam replied. “I think why I’m mostly upset is because I can’t give him the well-earned funeral he deserves.”

I rubbed my hand over his cheek and we stood still for a minute or two.

“Where are we off to, to start our new life then?” he asked.

I sighed. There was one place I had been thinking about ever since I’d left it. “I need to go home. I need to tell my mum that I’m pregnant. She needs to know that I’m okay.”

Sam nodded and took hold of my hand. “Which way?” he asked.

“Follow the river north. That should take us home” I answered.

“Let’s go then” he said while rubbing a hand over my stomach. “It’s a sad end to our old lives and a happy new beginning.”

© 2012 purple13. All rights reserved.