Chapter 23 - Susan + Sam

Authors Note: Haven't updated in a month...Nothing to say except I am sorry.

Since I haven't uploaded in a whole month I did make this chapter longer than normal so I hope that makes up for it a little bit :)

Chapter 23 – Susan’s P.O.V

It had been several days since Sam rescued me. Just walking had given me time for everything to sink in. We didn’t have to run or hide anymore. We could be ourselves and live the life we wanted. Everything was coming together and telling my mum about us and the baby would be the last piece. I was still so happy Sam accepted the fact I was pregnant. I wouldn’t be able to get through it without him.

Sam was gently rubbing my hand as we walked beside the river. The sun was giving me fantastic warmth as it set. The air was so clean and everything was peaceful and silent.

Sam looked at me and smiled. “What are you thinking about?” he asked.

I smiled to myself. “Everything’s perfect. I couldn’t ask for more.”

Sam stopped walking and pushed his lips to mine. He stood with both hands holding my face so I wrapped my arms around him. He pushed our bodies together and moved his hands down to my waist. He lifted me into the air and I laughed. I wrapped my legs around his waist and linked my hands around his neck.

I pushed my forehead against his and smiled. I really couldn’t have asked for more.

I pressed my lips against his and my whole body felt relaxed and I felt as though I could float into the sky.

Sam gently bit my bottom lip and I giggled. “You better behave yourself when we get to my mum” I said while jumping down from his body and placing my feet back firmly on the ground.

“I will” he whispered.

We carried on walking and within no time I saw a few huts in the distance. My heart skipped a beat. “Sam!” I screamed, excited.

He looked at me and laughed. “Home?” he asked.

“Yes! I can’t wait to see my mum!” I screaked and started to run ahead of him.

“Susan, slow down!” he shouted.

I just laughed and continued to run. I was so happy I was home.

I came to a sharp stop as Sam grabbed my shoulder and swung me around to face him. I was out of breath.

“Are you crazy?” he asked.

“What?” I didn’t understand what he was talking about.

“You can’t be running off when you’re pregnant” he explained. “What if you fall?”

I sighed. “Sam. I’m not that far gone. I have months left. I don’t think I need to worry yet” I comforted him.

“I just care about you and the baby.”

“I know” I whispered.

He kissed my forehead and took hold of my hand. “Can we walk though?” he asked.

“Okay” I replied “But fast.”

Sam’s P.O.V

We reached the entrance to the village and Susan squeezed my hand. I hadn’t seen her so excited before. She couldn’t stay still.

Me on the other hand, was not so happy. I couldn’t help but hate this place. As we walked up the main path I couldn’t get Susan’s screams out of my head the day I took her. We reached her hut and I stared at where her mother had stood crying and begging me not to take her. The look in her eyes will haunt me forever.

I suddenly felt sick. I didn’t think I could move. There was no way I could meet her mother. She wouldn’t accept the fact we were in love. I had taken her child and now I was going to become a father, I realised that if anyone took my child I would never forgive them.

I couldn’t do it.

Susan’s smile faded and she looked at me. “Sam?” she sounded panicked. “Sam!” she shouted while grabbing my face. “You don’t look well” she stated.

I closed my eyes. I could feel my whole body shaking.

Susan rubbed her hand over my cheek and I slowly opened my eyes again. I stared at her, then the door.

“Sam” she whispered. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know it would be this hard for you to come back here.”

I gulped. “Let’s go inside” I whispered, my voice shaky.

“Are you sure?” she whispered, removing her hand from my cheek.

I nodded and took hold of her hand. We walked up to the front door and I pushed it open.

The door was open a fraction but I knew something wasn’t right. The smell of rotting flesh hit me immediately and I tilted my head away.

“What’s that smell?” Susan asked me.

“Nothing, your mothers not home. We need to come back later” I growled and yanked her away from the door and down the path.

“Sam!” she shouted. “What it is?”

“Nothing!” We need to get out of here until she’s back!”

“No!” she screamed and pulled away from me. She ran to the door and barged inside.

“Susan, NO!” I yelled and ran after her.

I entered the room and hanging before me was her mother’s body. Pale, limp and lifeless. I shook my head and ran a hand through my hair. Susan was a few steps away from me lying on the floor just in front of her mother’s body. She was crying, her head in her hands. The smell of the body was overwhelming because the room was boiling and she must have been hanging there for weeks.

I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t believe it. Why couldn’t she of listened to me and not gone in? Why?

“Susan” I whispered over her loud crying. I walked beside her and picked her up. She slapped me away and fell back down to the floor. She looked at her mother’s body and went as white as a ghost. Her mother’s body was a mess; she had been sick all over herself. I’d seen it so many times before. The family crying from their loss. I have never been the one to have to hang them and I was grateful. I kneeled next to Susan. “Look away” I whispered, angrily.

The tears were pouring from her eyes and she looked away. She dropped her head to the floor and moaned in pain. She clawed the floor and I couldn’t bear to look at her any longer.

I reached my arm out to her. I wanted to help her but I didn’t want her to push me away again.

She grabbed my hand and squeezed it. Susan let out a loud cry and I wrapped my arms around her. “It’s okay” I whispered while gently kissing the top of her head. “Everything will be okay. Trust me.”

© 2012 purple13. All rights reserved.