Episode 12

I had no more lectures for that day so I left for my apartment. My dad wasn't there. I called him.
"Renée"
"Dad"
"I'm at your grandma's. Come over"
Just great. I'll have to meet the entire family now.

* * * * *
My grandma lived in Community 1. It was a very popular community among the people of the city because it had the central market, the metropolitan assembly office and the Greenwich Meridian passed through that suburb. Getting closer to the Christmas festivities, there was traffic everywhere.
My grandma's house was a quite a walking distance from the market.

* * * * *
My grandma greeted me with a smile. I was ushered to the living area where my dad was.
"Renée. How are you doing my dear"
"I'm great. Hope you and mum are okay."
"We're both fine"
"I got a good job offer so I can afford to rent you a bigger apartment."
"Thanks dad"
"I'll come over during the weekend and we'll go check it up, okay?"
"Sure"
"Let me take you home."
Oh God... how am I going to tell my dad I'm living with a man I'm not married to?
I know he'll ask me what sort of evangelism included living under one roof with a man who's not my husband. And yeah he'll be right. Ava thought same and for weeks now we had not spoken because she detested the fact that I lived with him.
We had heard many stories about the Vergas. They were an association of 6 ruthless rich millionaires most of who operated in Africa and America. Africa for its rich raw materials and human resource. America for its high tech systems.The Whytes were a part of this association. This was a dangerous game - playing with the rich and powerful.
But I had this urge to press on. I've to prove him wrong; that know-it-all. Was that what this was all about? Wasn't it all supposed to glorify God. Was I seeking self glory. Should I quit then?
No, it was definitely too late to back out. I'll just pray for the grace to speed up the processes.
I slept over at my parents' that night.

* * * *
It was a bright Tuesday morning. I had some biological research assignments to finish so I came earlier than the start of my first lecture for the day. I was sitting at my favorite spot in the library when Jeremy walked in pretty upset. A wind of relief washed over his troubled soul when he saw me.
"The careless child", he remarked
"Hello to you too", I greeted.
"Care to tell me where you were last night. I combed the whole area you were no where to be found. I even went to your apartment and met you friend Ava and she had no idea either."
"Well aren't you the worried mother", I teased
"You didn't answer my question", he looked serious.
"Why do you care?", I asked. He was taken aback by my question.
"Whatever. I don't why I asked in the first place ", he left.
This guy has some serious mood swings - a girl in her period can't compare. I just don't know why we never get along. Perhaps, that's just the way it's meant to be.

* * * * *
As the days turned into weeks, I saw less and less of Jeremy. Before I knew it 2 weeks had passed.I began to worry. I certainly didn't miss him, but I surely missed our arguments.
I had two weeks more to complete my end of the deal. I hatched a plan. Bingo!

I knocked on his door some minutes after I heard his engine go off.
"Renée", he said surprised. We hadn't spoken since the library incident.
"We're going to the park tomorrow", I said and immediately left without waiting for a response. It felt so glorious to do that. No wonder he did it that much.
Jeremy, you're in for a roller coaster ride...