Episode 13

"I was up early. I prepared snacks and got everything ready for our day out in the park. I also prepared breakfast. Corn porridge had become Jeremy's favorite. Though we hardly spoke the previous weeks, I'd always leave him his breakfast and I always return to a note of gratitude. We never crossed paths surprisingly.
Crazy, right? I know.
Exams week was over. The semester had officially ended. I wanted to spend the holidays with my parents. I missed them so much. That meant I had to complete this task soon.

*                       *                     *                       *
The park was beautiful. Nature shone in its glory. We took a stroll.
"Jeremy"
"Yes Renée"
"What are you afraid of"
"What do you mean?"
"I know you're a man who takes a lot of risks. You won't have amass such wealth without taking risks."
He was quiet so I continued.
"Why don't you give God a chance? If it doesn't work out, you can always back out, but I doubt you would."

* * * *
Ice cream! My favorite thing in the world. Forgive me but ice cream on a hot afternoon in the park was paradise.
Jeremy laughed as I waved eagerly at the ice cream man.
I had a large cup of strawberry ice cream.
"Make it two", I told the ice cream man.
"You're gonna eat all that", Jeremy teased.
"No, this is yours", I handed the cup to him.
"I don't..."
I cut in
"Shh... don't pass a judgement yet. Taste it. It's not too sweet but savory at the same time."
"mm...better than I thought", he remarked as he took more spoons of ice cream.
"Don't worry. I wouldn't tell anyone that the 'All Powerful' Jeremy ate ice cream at the park.", I teased
"You better not", he said amidst eating. He was definitely enjoying it. I laughed.
It was good to see him come out of his shell once in a while.
We headed towards the pond. We laid our mat at its banks and set out our picnic items. After having our snacks, we decided to play a game. Truth or Dare.
He went first.
"I pick truth"
"Can you love someone like me?", he asked and quickly added
"I...I...mean someone who doesn't believe in what you believe in" I had never heard him stammer, what made him so nervous?
"Well, if I truly loved you...I mean someone like you", I can't believe I said that out loud. Darn it! I continued.
"...I would never want to see them in pain. Why then wouldn't I introduce them to the excess love of my Savior which was shed for us all and also help them escape the burning flames of hell." There was tension between us and silence fell upon us.
I broke the silence.
"My turn"
"I pick dare", he replied
"I dare you to say,'I love you Jesus'."
He looked straight into my eyes. Time stood still within that moment. A frown formed on his face. Just then he did the unexpected.
He spilled his juice on me. This game is so on.
"Food battle", I screamed as we threw our snacks at each other. We ran around the park. It was indeed a magical moment.
Just then his phone rang. He hesitated and then answered it.
"What?!", he yelled in shock. He ended the call. He was greatly upset.
"Renée, we've to leave now." I was worried. What was going on?
"What's wrong Jeremy?"
"I said NOW!", he stormed off.
This can't be good...