Episode 15

He was kneeling with his hands put together right in front of his face. My heart went out to him. I wanted to take all his pain away. But why did I feel that way? It's probably because I care for him deeply. My heart warmed seeing him.
Besides that wasn't in my hands. Only God could take his pain away. I stepped into the chapel. He was so deeply involved in the prayer, he didn't notice me come in.
I knelt down beside him and we prayed together silently.

"Dear God
I may not know or fully understand what they're going through. But Lord, heal their mother. Save her from the grasp of the enemy of sickness. But most importantly Lord, have Your way.
Amen."

When I ended my prayer and opened my eyes, Jeremy was staring at me with his tear-stained face.
I'd never seen him so helpless and vulnerable. It goes to say that money can never buy happiness.
We remained there for a while just staring at each other as the silence engulfed us. In quietness, we communicated; without a word, we understood each other.
His eyes were filled with tears that have been bottled up for a very long time. He spoke up more like a dare
"If your God is real, He should save my mum.", he snorted.
"That's solely in His hands", I assured him.
"I'm trusting Him this time, hope He doesn't fail me again.", he got up and helped me up.
Again? What did that mean?

We headed back for the ICU. Mr. Whyte was there.
"Mr. Whyte"
"Renée"
We hugged.
"I'm so glad to see you here but I would have hoped for better circumstances. Thank you so much for your support and food, Mia told me all about what you've done for her and her brother. And Renée...breakfast was great.", he remarked with genuine gratitude.
"I'm glad to be of help. If you need anything, you can just tell me and I'm certain your wife will be better soon Mr.Whyte."
They all bowed their heads.
"Did I say something wrong?", I asked with genuine concern.
Mia looked at her brother with a face that screamed Haven't You Told Her Yet?
Jeremy and Mr. Whyte excused themselves. I was left with Mia.
"Mr. Whyte is not married to mum. Mr. Whyte was dad's best friend.And no, I know what you're thinking. Mum didn't cheat on dad with his best friend. Mr. Whyte adopted us when dad passed" she disclosed when they were out of earshot.
Oh that's why the woman wasn't addressed as Carlson Whyte. It all started to make sense.
"Didn't Jeremy told you? Aren't you guys a thing now?"
"Emm...no, we're just friends. More like acquaintances", I explained
"Oh... acquaintances that live together... I see",she said with a glint of humor.
"I know my brother too well. The way he looks at you. I wouldn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.", she giggled once more then continued.
"He's guarded his heart ever since she broke it. That witch."
Who was Mia talking about? Was that the reason why Jeremy was that rude and shielded his heart? I want to know more but before I could ask, Jeremy's deep voice cut in.
"Renée, let's go", he announced. He looked displeased. It seems he had heard the last bit of my conversation with Mia.
As we were turning to leave. The doctor called out to us.
"Sir, the patient is awake"
His face immediately lit up. Mia was overjoyed.
Jehovah God, I thank you...