Chapter 43

He stood up in unfeigned rage.
"You witch! I can't believe you had the nerve to show up here after all these years!"
"I thought you would be more reasonable and circumspect. You're not a man to mix business with pleasure.", she certainly had not lost her confidence.
"What do you want?", he calmed.
"Can I have a seat first?"
He ignored her question and sat down. She sat too.
"Back to your question, I'm here for the interview. Here is my CV." She handed over a file and continued.
"Look Jay...", she leaned forward and tried to reach for his hand. He immediately redrew his hand and spoke in a rather harsh manner.
"That's Mr. Carlson Whyte to you."
She rolled her eyes.
"Look, I think we should put the past behind us. I've changed. I'm a Christian now..."
He raised a brow. She continued
"Why is that so hard to believe? I'm trying to be a better person. You've no right to judge me because my Creator himself didn't. I know I have better qualifications than the other candidate. It will be definitely unfair on your part not to give me the job. This job requires determination and hard-work. I don't see anyone else with better chance."

There was one thing certain. She would make a great secretary. She had the speed, consistency and precision needed for the job. It was one thing he always knew would take her higher.
But could he trust her?

She said she was a new believer. He had no right to judge her, he knew. She had totally covered herself in an office skirt suit but the old Ana wore clothes that covered only about 30% of her body. But that shouldn't cloud his good judgement.

He was a great businessman and tech genius. He built the Whytes business empire on various risks he took earlier on. But was he ready to take this big a risk? Would Renée be okay with it?
"You may leave now. We'll contact you later"
"Okay. But Jay, I'm really sorry for the hurt I caused you back in the past."

*.                   *.                   *.                    *.                   *
"Baby, I'm home." He announced.
He could smell the wonderful aroma of her cooking from the porch. He headed straight for the kitchen. Just as he expected. Dishes of jollof rice garnished with fresh corn and garden peas, oven grilled chicken and coleslaw graced his eyes were laid neatly on the dining table. It was mouth watering. His stomach began to growl almost immediately. Ghanaian jollof was undeniably the best. It had quickly become his favorite meal.
They sat to eat.

"I must say, I enjoyed every little bit of this meal.", he acknowledged.
"Does that mean you forgive me for being rude the other time?"
He stopped eating, held her hand and looked her in the eye.
"You're my wife; my perfect other half. I'm supposed to take all your crap when your damn hormones are at work. I love you. It's my job."
They laughed. He continued
"Sweetheart, there's something I need to tell you."
Then he dropped the bombshell.
"Anastasia came by my office today."
The fork fell from her hand into the plate as her eyes nearly popped out in horror.
She lost her voice...