Episode 18

I went over to my parents'. We had a very merry Christmas just like the old times. Not too extravagant but we were happy. We went to our favorite spot at the Titanic beach, where we spent quality family time. Back to where it all began.

My dad was in the living area checking his mails while mum and I prepared dinner.
"Renée", he called out
"Daddy"
"What is the meaning of this?", he said pointing to a picture on the net. Darn it!
It was a picture of Jeremy and I entering the hall for the 5th Annual End of Year Celebration and Charity Gala. I had to find a tangible explanation, and fast.
"Renée..."
"Dad...the man I work for....Mr. Whyte...that's his son, Jeremy...errh....since I am his personal assistant, I was supposed to accompany him but since he had a slight delay, I accompanied his son instead."
My dad was not convinced but I guess he didn't want to drag the matter.
"Please don't get involved with those people. They're ruthless in all their dealings. This Jeremy as you call him is a part of the Vergas. Money is not everything my dear. What is on the inside matters a lot. Take note, my dear."
He kissed my cheek and smiled. I don't think I have the courage to tell my dad I lived with him for almost a month. My dad will freak out. He'll be really disappointed in me. I've never kept secrets from my parents, but this time was different. I can't stand breaking their hearts.

*                        *                          *                     *
As the days turned into weeks and weeks, into months. I got accustomed to living without Jeremy. Jordan and I became very good friends and with where we were heading, I knew we'll eventually start dating soon. Jordan was the perfect guy. He had good looks, was great at what he does and was a perfect gentleman. He never tried to hide his feelings. He was very open and transparent to me, and for that I admired him.
I tuned my mind to the fact that this was my life; this was the path I chose so I had to bear the obvious consequences.
My phone rang.
"Renée"
"Jordan"
"Are you free tonight?"
"Yeah"
"Would you like to hang out?"
"Is that a date Mr. Akuffo?"
"Probably"
We laughed. I was growing to like him. Not like any woman in her right mind wouldn't. He was every woman's dream guy.
"Okay then"
"Love you"
It had become his usual ending remark. Though I felt uncomfortable first, it didn't really bother me anymore.

I was back to the apartment my dad bought for me. It was a spacious two bedroom apartment located at a serene area of the town. Must have cost a fortune. Dad really shouldn't have. But I know it was out of love. I lived there with Ava.
It was 7pm. Jordan will be arriving soon. I started getting ready. I picked a dark blue flare sleeve lace dress. The door bell rang. Quite the punctual one. 20minutes early. I headed for the door and opened it. He stood there, rooted to the spot, his gaze fixed on me.
"When you're done staring we can leave, Jordan.".
We laughed.
We drove in complete silence, each one occupied by his own thoughts. Ava called.
"Ava"
"Renée"
"My mum is ill so I'm going to visit her so I'm not coming home tonight."
"Oh really? Do you want me to come along?"
"No don't worry. Enjoy your evening."
I hoped things would be fine. Jordan was concerned with my sudden mood swing.
"Ava's mum is ill and I can't be a good friend to her right now."
"You really like her, don't you?
"Yeah. She's the best."
"Yeah I can tell. She's really sweet.", he affirmed.
"Wow. Ava is not here yet she's stealing my date.", I teased.
"My heart only belongs to you my dear.", he winked at me. I managed a smile. A smile that from a mile away could be determined as fake.

When we arrived at the restaurant. The receptionist showed us the table reservation booked under Jordan's name. I guess it was a VIP spot as it was secluded. When we got to our dinner table under the summer hut, I was amazed.
"Wow. You clearly outdid yourself this time, Jordan..."