Chapter 50

It was a sunny afternoon in the park. The gentle wind was refreshing. She was clad in a white t-shirt over a pair of blue jeans. She held on to a bag with Jayson's essentials. Jeremy held on to Jayson as they took the stroll. She agreed to this outing because she knew she couldn't keep Jeremy away from his son. He had rights over Jayson too.
They arrived at serene spot at the western section of the park.
He had laid a mat with a basket full of goodies. It was a perfect picnic atmosphere which if were another situation, she would be overjoyed but she didn't care anymore now. Her heart had been shattered into a million pieces. The love of her life, her perfect other half, the one in whom she trusted fully, betrayed her.
They sat.

They munched on their snacks and watched Jayson play. He was so excited to have a play date out with his dad.
They took a stroll to the city's amusement park. It was a wonderful time out for Jayson. She had never seen him so happy and full of energy.
Watching the sunset, they headed back home. She hadn't said a word during their outing. Her mind was already made up. Nothing could change that.
Ava took the kids over to Mr. Whytes to have a sleepover. She knew the couple will need sometime to talk.
Left to themselves, they sat to talk. Jeremy began. Renée remained silent.
"Renée...", he took her hands in his and she redrew them.
"Renée... I want you to know that I'm truly sorry. I'm going to start from the very beginning."

*. *. *. *. *.
Months ago.
The Verga League was approaching. He had to maintain his position at the top. Mia and Renée had risked so much to get back Carlson Corp. and Holdings. Randy was even murdered. He vowed to himself to make sure that Carlson Corp thrived in honor of all of them.
But he knew working in the lions den wasn't going to be easy but it was worth the risk. But that was where he fell short - he underestimated her.
He had been working late for the past three days but he made sure he finished his day's work before 10pm. Everything was working perfectly, at least that's what he thought, till that one night.
He met up with Xavier, Carlos and Pierre to have a man's night out in the Corporation's bar.

It was past working hours when they arrived. Most of the employees had already left. He was with his secretary, Anastasia. She was in the adjoining office. The three men walked into his office.
"Pierre. Xavier. Carlos... what you doing here?", he asked pleasantly surprised.
"Hey man. Since the Whytes are hosting the Verga League award ceremony, here we are." Xavier
answered.
They headed for the bar. Since no one was around, Anastasia served them.
"No, I don't drink." Jeremy declined a glass of wine.
"A sip won't hurt." Pierre urged.
"Come on man, it's just one night. We won't tell Renée if you don't." Carlos teased.
Something within him kept pulling him back but it was after all just one night - one glass. He wasn't going to take anymore drinks after tonight.

And that one glass turned into many others and before he knew it he was totally wasted. He couldn't go home like this. Renée would be disappointed in him. He took a breather which lasted a few hours. When he got home, thankfully, Renée was fast asleep. He had a quick shower, grabbed a minted gum and sneaked into bed.
Unfortunately, that wasn't over. The perfect storm was on its way.

The remaining days saw him go back to his drinking habits. He didn't try to stop it. It wasn't harming anyone, after all.

Two nights before the award ceremony, as usual, he was completely wasted in his office. He entered his private room to rest when the he heard someone enter the office. It was Anastasia but what was she doing in so late? He always made sure to dismiss her before 10 so he could be left to himself.

She slowly unbuttoned her blouse and undressed herself. He tried to restrain her but realized he couldn't instead, he started enjoying it. She started enticing him and he gave in.

*.              *.             *.             *.             *.            *.         *
He stopped to look at her. Tears streaked across her face, flowing effortlessly into her t-shirt.
"My love, I swear to you that I was under the influence of alcohol. I would have never been with her in my normal state of mind."
"Sweetheart... I'm sorry. I promise I'll never even look at a bottle much less take a drink. Renée... say you forgive me... stay something, my love."
He held on to her gently, and on his knees he continued pleading. She finally spoke up.
"I want a divorce..."