Chapter 42 (Season 3)

"Renée", Jeremy's voice came from across the living room. She was lost. She had been staring at their wedding picture for hours. It all felt surreal. God has been good. It's been a year and she's more than halfway through her first pregnancy.

He walked quietly to where she stood and gently tapped her to reduce the shock.
"Oh... I didn't see you there."
"Aren't you going to work today?" He asked.
She wondered why he brought it up. It had been the reason they argued at length last night. They hadn't spoken about it again; even throughout breakfast. It was something they just couldn't agree on.
She loved him but she had some principles drawn out she would like to follow to the latter.

She had just finished taking her bath and got into bed when she realized her husband was troubled.
"Sweetheart, what's bothering you?"
"Renée, we need to talk. It's important."
She gave him her full attention.
"Renée, I want you to stop working."
"Jeremy, that's out of the question. I won't stop working. There's no explanation that can convince me to." She felt a tinge of anger.
He wasn't surprised. He knew she would react that way but it was worth a try. He decided to play his last card.
"Baby, listen. I'm only saying this because now it's not just you and I. We'll be starting a family soon. I make enough money to take care of us aside my inheritance which I'm making into a trust fund for the kids we'll have. Besides, someone should be around to take care of the baby."
"Oh good. Someone. You might as well be that someone.", she snorted.
She had never been rude before.
"Stop acting like a child and start caring about your baby."
Ouch. She didn't know whether it was the imbalanced hormones not making her think right, but she was hurt. She couldn't believe Jeremy just said that.

He knew he didn't mean to say it. It just came out and he couldn't take it back. He wasn't angry; he just felt out of place for arguing with Renée.
Her damn hormones had put him through hell these  past 6 months. He was at the point where if she asked for roasted watermelon and fried water he wouldn't be surprised.

And like 7 year old siblings, they laid in bed with their backs facing each other.

"No, I took a day off"
He didn't know how to react to that piece of information. He knew she did that because of their argument the night before and he felt a bit remorseful.

*.                   *.                   *.                  *.                   *
Immediately he entered his office, Val called. She was one of his managers. She was a good friend of his too.
"Good morning Sir."
"Good morning Val"
"I've interviewed the candidates vying for the position. I just need your approval now."
"Oh. Just go ahead. I know you'll make a good choice."
Val was his previous secretary. They worked together for almost a decade. She wanted to upgrade herself so right after she completed her masters program, he  employed her as one of his managers.
"Sir, it's just that I couldn't pick between the two. They were both exceptionally good."
"Alright. Send them in."

"That's all for now Miss Bagge. You'll hear from us soon."
Immediately she left, the door opened again. He lifted his eyes. He couldn't believe what he was seeing.
"Anastasia Mical"
His blood boiled with rage.