Chapter 49

Seattle was a beautiful place. Yeah, it was not so quiet but certainly less busier than Austin. She had settled down quickly. She took Jayson to a daycare center closer to her work place that way she could check on him every time she had a break with ease.

It was a Saturday. She had just made breakfast for herself and Jayson. Day by day, his father's features became more and more prominent on him and that made it more difficult to overcome the great pain and emptiness she felt inside.
Ava called.
"Renée"
"Ava"
"How are you doing?"
"I'm okay"
"And Jayson?"
"He's fine."
"I'm coming to the US tomorrow."
"Oh really?"
"Yeah. I intended to surprise you and Jay but I guess now's not the best time for a surprise."
Renée sighed as tears streaked down her face. These last few weeks had been the hardest. But she had to say strong for herself and for her son.

She picked up Ava and Renata from the airport. It was their first time in the US. Renata was overjoyed.
Renée was so proud of the woman Ava had become. She had built her home from nothing and made she sure Renata was very comfortable growing up and now she lacks nothing.
The girls went shopping with Jayson. They literally toured the city of Seattle.

They had dinner together that night. A meal of spaghetti and meatballs was a true delicacy. Renée's phone rang. It was Cara their housekeeper.
"Madam"
"Cara. Is everything okay there?"
"No. Sir is a mess. He does nothing but drink. His father and sister have been here, even some of his friends have been here. He just keeps getting worse by the day."
It hurt her to know Jeremy was a mess but it hurt twice as much to remember what he did to her.
'Cara, is that my wife on the line?' She heard him say in the background and soon his voice could be heard at the other end.
"Renée"
"Renée... I'm sorry. Please speak to me."
"I promise I can explain. It's not what you're thinking, believe me."
She sighed. He continued.
"Tell me where you are, please... How's Jayson? How are you? Are you okay? Are you safe?"
"Renée... my love, please... say something."
She ended the call.
Ava sensing who it was, had taken the children into their room. When she got back, Renée laid on the cold floor weeping. It was a heart breaking scene.

The next morning was beautiful. It was almost mid day when there was a knock on the door. Ava was having her morning coffee, or afternoon you could say . Renee was still sleeping. Was she expecting someone?
She opened the door.
"Jeremy"
"Ava. Is Renee in?"
She sighed and then gently nodded. She let him in and led him to her door.
"Jeremy, I'm not doing this for you but I know she and Jayson need you as much. If you hurt her, I'll pluck your eyes out."
She said with seriousness and fury that was not lost on Jeremy. He gently turned the door knob and made his way into the room. She slept peacefully. Then, he noticed her swollen eyes and her tear stained face. His heart broke into a thousand pieces.
He could never forgive himself for breaking the heart of the love of his life. He cursed himself a thousand times over.
He sat at the edge of her bed and watched her sleep. He had always dreamed to wake up beside her every day when they were dating and that dream became a reality the day he married her.

Now, he had to travel several square kilometers just to see her. Seattle. She was quite the smart one. He had searched every inch of the cities he thought she'd be in. But Seattle? It didn't even cross his mind and she knew it wouldn't. Thank Goodness he was able to track her call.

He gently tapped her.
"Jeremy... Am I dreaming?"
"I'm glad I'm in your dreams." He chuckled, but failed to lighten the mood.
She sat up. She pulled a strand of hair out of her face.
"Jeremy... what are you doing here?"
"Renée... we need to talk."
Her strength left her. She refused to argue.
"Get ready. I pick you and Jayson at 2."