Episode 20 (Season 1 finale)

It was all my fault. I never made time for her. I was always too busy with school stuff and work. I wasn't even around to advise her. Ava was a perfectionist. A strict christian. She must have really loved that guy, Amid. That weasel.
"Oh God, why is it that when we are so close to our breakthroughs, you allow difficult situations and various temptations our way.", I said to myself.

As I put Ava to bed, I paced about in my bedroom. After struggling to cope in a world for the rich and powerful, we were also now at the edge of our breakthrough. We were in a 4th year of college. Ava was graduating this year to become a qualified architect. I had three more years to go in my medical field but I was happy at least one of us was graduating.
I prayed deep into the night. I dreaded only one thing and I hoped it would never be realized. Ava's mum would be heartbroken.
I had to put my act together. Ava needed me. I had to be strong if I was to help her out of her trauma.

I told Jordan about it.
"I don't think you should get involved in this honey"
"Really Joe? Is that all you can say?", I couldn't believe him
"Whatever concerns Ava concerns me, okay?"
"Renée, those people...". I ended the call. I really can't believe him. Instead of supporting my decision, he was rather against me. I'm sure he only said that because of his job.
Our relationship was on rocky grounds recently. We argued about everything and anything. I was beginning think we were incompatible. Jeremy and I fought almost all the time but there was always I force that brought us back together. A force that was lost in my relationship with Joe.
But why was I always comparing Joe to Jeremy? Goodness. They were two different people.

Two months had passed. My Whyte gave me a lot of  work to do today. I think he did that on purpose to be alone. He was really sad his son left that early. Jay hardly spent 4months in Ghana. It was all because of me. I was to blame for everything going wrong around me. To the people I love.
Ava called.
"Renie...", she called out amidst tears.
"Please come down and speak to me, Ava"
"Renie, I'm pregnant."
I lost my voice.
"Renée. Renée. Are you there?"
"Yeah...Yeah...I'll be over in a bit. Just be calm."
Just great. This was what I dreaded most.
How can I face her when I'm breaking down?

I met Mia at the bus stop.
"Hey Renée"
"Mia. I thought you've left the country already."
"What can I say? I've fallen in love with Ghana.", she giggled.
"I heard you broke up with my brother"
"We were really never together but that was a long time ago."
"I wish you two can get over your pride and be together. I can see from a mile away that you're both not over each other."
"I've a boyfriend now."
She raised a brow.
"Isn't he just a flavor in the mouth?", she laughed.
I didn't want to answer that.
"Oh my goodness. I totally forgot about Ava. I need to head home now."
"Okay let me take you."
When we sat in the car, she spoke first.
"Who's Ava?"
"She's my best friend"
"What's wrong with her"
"Err...she was raped"
"What?!"
"Yeah. A jerk she was dating some weeks ago drugged her and raped her. She just found out she's a month pregnant."
"That's bad. I'm ready to take the case if you want to press charges."
She was a lawyer? Well, there was a lot to learn about the Carlson Whytes.
Mia helped me reassure Ava. Terminating the pregnancy was out of question.

*                        *.                            *                        *
When Ava told me what happened, I was furious. How could Amid deny having relations with her? Did she download the baby from Google Play Store, perhaps? Treacherous men!
I called Mia and convinced Ava to press charges. Jordan was in constant opposition. I couldn't stand him anymore. I dislike men who used women and dumped them but I detest men who deny paternity for their own children.

I went to the Diego's and Associates Firm. It was recently opened. I went to Amid's office.
"Hello. What can I do for you?"
"Does Ava ring a bell."
His demeanor changed. I cared less. I was here to reason with him. Not like he deserved it but for Ava's sake.
"What do you want bitch?!" He yelled
"I came to reason with you. Take responsibility for your actions else...", he cut in
" I guess you've not heard of the merciless Amid"
" I'm not scared of you, Amid. The force breathing in my direction is ten million times bigger than you."
"Amid...see you in court"
Just when I was about leaving, a young man in his early thirties walked in.
"Amid, what's going on? I could hear you yelling outside. Couldn't you close the door?"
He took in my features. He looked like a Latino.
I was walking out of the office when he stopped me.
"Let me change the wrong perception you've about this company."
He invited me to his office.
"To what do I owe your beautiful presence gracing my company today.". So he was a Diego?
"I came to speak to Amid"
"You're beautiful woman, you know. Just the way you stand up for yourself makes me go wild.", not listening to me.
He came closer, too close. He pinned me to the wall. His face drawing closer to mine. Was he going to kiss me? He's got to be kidding me.
I was about to pull away when the door opened, Jeremy walked in on us. He stood rooted to the spot taking in every detail of our inappropriate position. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, a voice broke the silence that had engulfed us.
"Mr. Diego, the report is ready.", Jordan's voice came across.
So there I was, pinned to the wall by a total stranger with the love of my life and boyfriend staring awestruck.
The big fish should swallow me now...

That's all for now guys😉.
Season 2 will be out soon.