Chapter 57

"What's the meaning of this?!" Mr. Whyte yelled frustrated.
"This is not Juan, She's Anastasia. Are you out of your mind?"
Ana and Paula laughed. Jeremy fumed as Edward, Renée and Mia tried to maintain their cool.
"Everyone, meet my lovely daughter Anastasia Juan Mical."
"Paula, y- you knew about everything?" Mr. Whyte was clearly hurt by her betrayal.
"No, no, Whyte. You're not involved in this. It's the Carlsons we're after." Paula spoke with genuine plea
"Ever since I adopted them they became Carlson Whytes not just Carlsons. They're my family and so if you want to harm them Paula, you'll also be my enemy.
Paula looked downcast. But Ana stood by her mother.
"Too bad Mr. Whyte. You could have avoided all this and been a great ally."
Anastasia brought out a gun and cocked it. Everyone became defensive. And a gang walked in. They were fully armed and pointed their guns at the small group.
"Neither of you should try anything stupid. We're armed to the boot and my friends here, won't hesitate to shoot anyone who misbehaves. Nevertheless, you're all going to die but let's make this less painful. Get your butts to the compound now! That's your death grounds."
She gave a wicked laugh.

When they got outside, the five men lined up apparently awaiting the order to shoot. They cocked their guns and stood in attention.
"Belvin, leave you position, Jeremy is not to be touched. And you too Fred, I want to have the pleasure of killing Renee myself." She smirked at Renee. Jeremy shielded his wife.
"If you try as much touching a strand of her hair, I'll kill you with my bare hands Ana!" Jeremy warned.
"See what you did you bitch! You tore my love and I apart. But he'll surely come to his senses after you die."
"You're sick Ana!" Jeremy retorted.
"Paula, why you doing this. I don't understand. What did the Carlsons ever do to you?" Mr. Whyte cut in.
"Richard Carlson killed my husband and my son and robbed us of all we had and do know what? Jeremy knew about it."
"What?! That's a lie. Who told you that? I was there that day when your husband Charles called asking for help. He said someone had broken into his office and the person had a gun. He was scared because he was unarmed. I was with my dad, we were heading out of the office when the call came through. He didn't want to but after I insisted that I knew how to handle a gun, he allowed me to accompany him."
Jeremy sighed and continued.
"When we got there, your son Lawrence, was already dead. The killer was with your husband in his office. He had pointed a gun at him. My dad tried to shoot him from behind but he got out of the way and bullet hit Charles. I managed to shoot his arm but he still got away. Unfortunately, Charles died on the way to the hospital. It was an accident. We weren't there to kill him. We were there to save him. My dad never forgave himself for the death of Charles Mical."

"You're lying. You're lying! You just want to deceive me!" Anastasia yelled.
"No, he's not. Renee and I realized when you smirked at Paula and she smiled back. We knew something was fishy so we dug deeper and listed possible motives for your attack and with Edward's help, we got clear evidence that what Jeremy is saying is true."
Renee stepped forward and handed a phone with the recording playing.
"This - this is a lie! He would never deceive me for so long. He possibly couldn't! He loves me. No, this is a lie. Do even know Edward? He works for us, you bunch of idiots!" She was practically in tears now.
"I'm a member of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. I was undercover to find the mastermind behind the Carlsons' attacks. Who is he, Ana?" Edward stepped forward and should his identity card.
"Oh my God. Ana is true. What have we done? That friend of yours deceived us. He deceived us for over a decade to settle his own personal scores. Can't you see Ana?"
"No. It's a lie! It's all a lie! You're all trying to get into my head! Arrghh." Fury washed over her like a mad animal.
She knew what she had to do to be sure. She pointed the gun at Renee. Jeremy got closer. But before he did she pulled the trigger. A gun man from the rooftop of the Whytes mansion fired and shot the gun from her hand. Renee was able to swerve the bullet headed her way.
"So it's true?" She spoke to the man at the rooftop.
"It's true. You clearly don't love me. I was just a toy in your plans. You son of a bitch!"
"Tell us. Who is he?" Edward urged her.
"He is-
Another bullet was fired straight into Ana's skull. Almost immediately, the armed men started shooting. Jeremy grabbed his gun and with Edward helped everyone get cover.
The men outnumbered them. Jeremy and Edward couldn't hold them back any longer as the men neared the place were the small group hid. It was then that they noticed Paula had been shot. Edward had also been shot and Jeremy sustained several minor bullet wounds.

It was over. The men had them surrounded. They pointed their guns at them as Jeremy and Edward shielded the others.

Then they heard sirens blaring ahead.
"Finally" Edward muttered under his breath.
The gang sensing the police were near, retreated.

The police combed the whole area but there was no trace of anyone. An ambulance arrived and they were all rushed to the hospital.

Anastasia was already dead and the identity of their greatest enemy died with her. Were they safe?