Episode 39

"Renée, what's wrong?", Mia questioned. Jeremy became concerned.
"Love, what's the matter?"
"I know who has the document of ownership"

*. *. *. *. *.
I woke up early the next morning. After I dressed up, I went over to Jay's room.
"Come in"
I sighed. He was hopeless
"Why did you let me come in if you're still shirtless?"
"I didn't think it was much of a bother since this isn't the first time."
I folded my arms while raising a brow sarcastically,
"Ok. Ok. I'll put on a shirt." He laughed
When he finally put on his shirt, I kissed him on the cheek.
"That's more like it." We laughed

We headed downstairs for breakfast. We still had a few hours to the trial. We were still waiting for Randy's call.
My phone rang not too long after we had breakfast. Jeremy was with me so I put it on loud speaker.
"Ma'am"
"Randy"
"Yes ma'am"
"Meet me at Coffee and Pastries in an hour. Come alone."
Jeremy took the phone from me.
"I'm coming with her. Any problem?"
"Sir. The less people the better"
"Well, that's your problem. She nearly got killed, I'm not leaving her alone."

It was about two hours to the trial. We must be seated 20minutes before the trial began.
We waited for Randy at Coffee and Pastries.
He was late but apologized when he got in.
"Here's the document. "
He handed over the document swiftly.
"I'm sorry I'm late someone was following me. I had to lose him first."
"But how did you get the document? Were you the one that came into the car and knocked me out?"
"No, you remember someone bumped into you during the stampede to the exit of the hall of the Carlson Mansion. It was I. I noticed someone following you so I decided to swap the document with pieces of blank sheets with the same file cover ."
"Thank you so much Randy." I said with gratitude.
"Randy, go over to my apartment in Sheffield. You'll be safe there."
"Thank you Sir, Ma'am. You've been good to me. And Ma'am please do continue sharing God's word. I would have never known such great love as God's"
We got up to leave when we got to the entrance, Randy bid us goodbye.
"Thank you Sir. I'll leave for Sheffield immediately. Before I forget be careful because the people around you are your worst enemies. Buckle was not the one who ordered to kill you for the document. It was...
Boom!
"Randy!", I screamed. Randy laid in a pool of blood.
Jeremy shielded me and took me in. Bullets in succession headed our way. The police took cover almost immediately.
"Aaah!" Jeremy let out in pain.
"Jay, you're hurt."
"It's just a graze."
We saw the killer jump the top of the buildings and escape. Oh God, take care of us. We called an ambulance and Jeremy's minor injury was treated.
"You called the police right?", I asked immediately his wound was bandaged.
"I knew someone will follow him. You didn't think I'll put you in danger. I know this world of Verga a lot more than you think. The killer could have finished us easily without the police."
"But Randy is dead now."
"No, he's not. He'll be fine soon."

With police escort we arrived at the court though late. Since it was just a few minutes to the beginning of the trial we were let in. We handed it over to Mia.

She turned it in once the case began.
"I'm now ready to pass my judgement. The charges against the defendant for the attempted murder of Miss Renée Affoh are dropped...."
Mia nearly passed out.