worried faces

Chapter 16

He started walking towards the elevator and I followed. When we were at the principal’s office I heard laughing, his brothers must be in there with him. I knocked anyways because this was important. A few moments later the laughter had died and the principal opened the door.

 “Is something wrong?” he asked.

 Adam answered “We think so”

 Suddenly the principal had a worried expression on his face “Come in”.  He opened the door further and we walked in. There was like a family reunion or something, because the brothers and sons of the principal were all sitting in chairs.

 I started speaking to Jacob “When we undressed Evangeline, did you see something on her stomach?” when I said Evangeline’s name they all had worried expressions on their faces.

“No why?” he asked.

 “Uhm well Adam said that he saw something on her stomach…” Adam interrupted me.

 “I think I saw a bruise on her stomach” they all stood up.

 “Did you undress her?!” the principal said with anger in his voice.

“Yes dad we did, because we wanted her body to cool down” Jacob said angry, his father looked taken aback.

“Where is she?” he asked, I turned around and started walking away.

 I thought that only he would come or only Jacob, but when I turned around in the elevator I was surrounded by eight people. They all are coming to see her… that’s kind of sweet, when we arrived at her door I knocked just to be sure.

 “NO. DON’T COME IN!” she shouted. *Thump*

“Are you all right?” Jason asked.

 “Yes, I just fell, don’t worry” like that’s gonna happen, I said under my breath and I got a lot of elbows in my stomach.

 “Yeez! I was just joking! No need to harm me!” I laughed and they looked at me. The door opened.

 “Yeah” she said while stroking her hair down. She was wearing really cute pajama’s, they were green with a big muppet on the front.

“Wow. What are you all doing here?” she asked.

 “Uhhhm… uh. Could… uhhm” I stuttered.

 “I want to see your stomach” the principal said in a demanding tone, she looked scared and quickly slammed her door shut.

“DAD!!” I heard from behind me, I turned around.

 “Well you go for the direct approach” Marcus said in a bored tone.

 “When did he come here?” I must have said that aloud because he started speaking.

 “I came to get my clothes back and see you guys standing here. Why exactly do you want to

see her stomach?” the door opened and there were clothes flying at Marcus.

“Thanks” he said to her, but the door was already closed and I heard the door lock.

“So why did you want to see her stomach?” he said calmly, but I could hear something in his voice, but I couldn’t really place it.

 “Adam said that he saw something on her stomach, but I didn’t see it when I undressed her one and a half day earlier.” Jacob said, but he turned to his uncles “Unless you did that to her, because if you did I swear I will rip your limbs apart one by one” he said threatening to them.

One of his uncles said relaxed “I saw it when she was going in the bath w…” he was interrupted.

 “WHY THE HELL DID YOU SEE HER GO IN BATH?” Jacob said angry.

 “Same reason as you… she was cooking, well not cooking cooking but cooking like her body had a hot temperature” he said when everybody looked at him weird, his brother, not the principal turned to him.

 “How come I didn’t see it?”

 “You were too busy with taking care of her.”

 The principal asked to his brother “What did you see?”

 “She had a bruise…”

 “So it is true?” Jason asked.

 “Yes but that’s not all.”

 “What do you mean?” Jackson asked this time.

 “Well, she didn’t have one bruise… she has a lot of bruises.”

“is that what she meant with a hard time?’’ the principal murmured looking to the ground deep in thought.

 I wanted to know what was going on in his head; I wanted to know what happened to Evangeline… Evangeline. EVANGELINE! I quickly turned around

“Evangeline? EVANGELINE? Are you still there? HELLO? EVANGELINE?” I was panicking, what if she did something to herself.

 “BE QUIET!! You don’t even give her space to reply.” Jaden said with his hand on my mouth. He let go of my hand and knocked.

“Evangeline?” he asked quietly “Why are you crying?”

 “Is she crying?” someone behind me said worried, Jaden held his hand up and he made a shushing gesture with an angry face.

 “Yes you are crying, I can hear it.’”He said soft again facing the door. “No I’m not alone” he waited a second “Uhm, let’s see, the principal and his brothers are here, Jason, Jackson, Jacob, Samuel, Adam and Marcus are here” he said calmly.

He turned to us “Could you please go away she asked”

 “NO!” we all said at the same time.

 “You have to go away and leave me alone!” I heard her say in a weak, unsteady, soft, yelling voice.

“We won’t go away. I won’t go away, not until I see the bruises and I hear the story” the principal said.

“Well you can wait a long time!” she said with the voice again. I almost laughed at her stubbornness.

 “Well I see where she gets her stubbornness from” I heard her getting the key from the lock and walk away. I heard the bed creak and I think she putt the key on her nightstand.

 “Good night, have fun staying there all night!” she said.