Distant friends

The lantern illuminated the night as Wynter stood watch and stared at Maggie who sat 5 feet away from the house. She had a blanket on top of her dirty clothes. Glenn was on her mind 24/7 and he haunted his wife in her dreams. Maggie was too emotionally drained to even shed a tear. She had officially lost all her family and it felt as if her whole universe came crashing down. Bits and pieces of her heart got torn every time her mind set on Glenn. She stared absentmindedly at the forest a couple feet away from her. She was dying inside and nobody could stop it.

        Wynter looked at Maggie sympathetically. She hadn’t talked to anybody for days now ever since the death of her husband. Her eating habits also increased and the group couldn’t figure out why. She thought of talking to her friend but there wasn’t much use. She had already tried a thousand times and she became frustrated and Wynter sensed a presence behind her. She felt a tug on her hand and she glanced down to see her daughter. Skylar was just like Wynter; curiosity got the best of her. Wynter grasped onto Skylar’s hand and smiled warmly at her daughter. “Hey sweetie.” Her daughter smiled in response as they both stood on the deck of the house. “What’s wrong with Maggie?” She questioned slightly shocking Wynter. Wynter sighed and Skylar sat down. Her mother sat down beside them both their legs crossed. She wrapped an arm around her daughter. “She’s sad because Glenn isn’t with us.” Skylar nodded slowly, and looked up at her blue eyed mother. “I miss Glenn.” She whispered leaning on her mother. “Me too.” Wynter whispered back. “You know what though? He will always live in our memories and he will always be with us.” Skylar glanced at her mother quizzically. “But how mommy?” She smiled at her daughter and pointed with her index finger at her daughter’s heart. “In here.” Her daughter’s lips curled into a small smiled before she nodded vigorously. “I love you.” Wynter whispered into Skylar’s hair. She embraced Wynter and whispered into her hair. “I love you too mommy.” She released her daughter and she turned to see Daryl leaning against the front door.

         “Ya should be in bed Sky.” He picked up his daughter and she frowned. “Sorry daddy.” He stared at her for a moment before speaking. “Don’t run off again.” She nodded and yawned as she laid her small head on Daryl’s shoulder. His lips curled into a smile and he nodded slightly to Wynter before turning and going back into the house.

         Daryl carried his daughter to the room that she shared with Judith and laid her down gently. As he put the covers on her she wrapped her arms around his neck. It took him back at first but he embraced her too. She laid back down on the bed and he got up and was about to leave when her soft voice rang through his ears. “Daddy can you stay with me until I fall asleep.” He waded for a moment before turning around and nodded and sat down on the chair beside her bed. She smiled at him and grasped onto his hand until she fell into a deep sleep. He kissed her on the top of her head and quietly exited the room, and walked down the corridor to his and his wife’s room. He laid down beside his sleeping wife and kissed her on the neck. Wynter giggled and turned kissing him passionately. His hands went underneath her shirt and she smiled into the kiss. His touch sent shivers down her spine and he nibbled on her ear. “I want something.” He whispered. She smirked at him. “What?” She asked pretending to be lost. “You.” He whispered and she smiled as he slammed his lips onto hers and the kiss deepened.
   ………………….3 weeks Later……………………..
                                  Wynter’s P.O.V.

        I heard coughing and gagging coming from the bathroom as I was walking down the hall. Nightfall had come three hours ago and almost everyone was asleep. “Maggie?” I asked softly knocking on the door. I opened the door to see her throwing up in the toilet. I lifted her hair back and she wiped her mouth and flushed sitting back. I rubbed her back and tears streamed down her face as she cried in my lap. I rubbed circles on her back and moved the strands of hair from her face. I couldn’t even imagine what it was like for Maggie to lose her husband. What if it was Daryl? I could never live with myself. The guilt, the heartbreak all of it. Death made you appreciate what you had a lot more. The night breeze caught me off guard and I stared out the window. The sun was just coming up and it blinded me for a moment. Two figures emerged from the hallway. I squinted my eyes as the bright light still shone in my eyes. My mouth was agape as I saw Glenn and Hershel staring at Maggie and me. I shook my head and closed my eyes for a moment. Wow I must need some rest. Opening my eyes again I saw the two men still standing there. Hershel had his legs and head, clearly visible. Glenn was covered in grime but a slight smile curled to his lips. The sound of Maggie vomiting caused me to turn back and comfort her again. Wait Maggie had been sick for weeks just like how I was when I was…. Pregnant. When Maggie stopped vomiting I gave her mouth wash to rinse her mouth and I spoke up. “Maggie you’ve been sick for a while. And you late… I think you’re pregnant.” I trailed off and she spat out the mouthwash. I glance down the hallway to see Glenn and Hershel gone and turn back to her. Tears filled her eyes and streamed down her face. “No I-I can’t do this! My husband isn’t here! I’m alone!! H-How am I supposed to do this by myself!!” She started hyperventilating and I hugged her tightly. “Hey. Shh it’s okay. Look at me Maggie! Maggie.” She finally looked at me. “It’s alright. You are never alone. You’ll get through this. I promise you. Dakota knows how to deliver a baby, and so does carol. I promise everything will be okay. You’re not alone.” She slowly nodded and embraced me again. I comforted her and I looked out the hallway to see Glenn and Hershel again staring at Maggie sympathetically. Why are the two here? They can’t be here they’re… slowly I got up. “I’ll be right back.” She nodded and wiped her tears. I walked toward the two but they vanished into thin air again. What the hell?