The Bad Dream

Kīde had passed out drunk again by his child's crib and for hours was tossing and turning as he was overwhelmed by a horrific nightmare.

In his dream, he was on a grassy hill during a bright and sunny day when from behind a tree he could hear that a child was playing hide and seek with him and so he snuck around the tree to see a child that looked just like him but with his mother's golden hair.

He was shocked and overwhelmed with love to the point where all he could do was reach out to the child and hug him but the cute little boy did not know who he was and was afraid of him.

"Mamma!"  He called out in fear over and over again.

The king felt his heart break at the knowledge that his own child was afraid of him but he tried to soothe the child.

"Oh, darling I'm sorry I didn't mean to frighten you! I just love so much! I'm your papa!"

He picked up the crying boy and rocked him back and forth until the child snuggled to him.

"My papa!"

"Yes! And you're my most beloved and only child!"

He kissed his son on the forehead and snuggled his boy until black storm clouds suddenly rolled in and the child was frightened.

"Don't worry my sweet one I'll keep you safe under the tree!"

"Then who will protect momma!"

Then the boy ran off into the storm even though the king tried to stop him.

The king ran after his son until they reached a clearing and he saw his child laying next to his mate who was limp and cold like death on the ground in a pool of blood.

He ran to his mate's side and tried to wake him but it was no use then all of a sudden he was on a beach and he could hear cries in the distance.

"Papa!"

"Mate!"

He recognized those cries and ran after them until he saw them being dragged away into a cloud of darkness than their robes turned white which now that he thought about it was the color that they were in the first part of the dream...the color people dressed their loved ones in when they were dead.

Into the black mist and he called after them until he could no longer hear their cries and found himself exactly where he was again this time with the blood on his hands.

He woke up screaming and weeping uncontrollably where he had fallen asleep hours ago then after many painful minutes he let himself fall to the hardwood floor again as he slowly tried to catch his breath but as he lay there he couldn't help but notice how the golden sunlight slowly danced through the drapes and over the pretty silken sheets and cushions of the royal nesting bed he had prepared for his omega months ago.

He remembered that wonderful night but most of all how beautiful his mate had looked the next morning painted in golden sunlight and he could help but think that this is where his sweet little omega should be.

Warmly snuggled up in soft golden-colored silk made just for him bathed in sunlight as he slept the day away softly yet the bed was empty.

He was suddenly brought out of his thoughts by a loud knocking at the door.

"Take it to my study!"

"Your highness it is from Kenji and it is marked as important!"

At this, he called the servant inside then opened the letter only to be shocked.

First by it telling of what Kenji had done and then of his horrifying discovery and theory of his mate's situation.

"My darlings!... they might be in trouble!"

He got up and made his way to the royal hall to tell all of his court that he was debarking to Shina as soon as possible.