Intro

A boy stood in a dimly lit office, blankly staring ahead of himself.

This can't be real...

How could this have happened?

Why?

What was he supposed to do now?

No matter how many questions he asked himself, he received no answer in return.

The only things he received, were the pitying gazes of the adults in front of him.

"I understand this come as a shock to you". Minato met eyes with the man's own, crinkled ones. The Third Hokage... That was who the man was. "I'm sorry for your loss". And? Is he just supposed to say 'thank you' and walk away?

No! His parents died and now they wish to take him away, too?! No!

"I'd like Aizen back, please". One of the adults shifted on his feet at Minato's words and peered at the Hokage, but did not say a word to him. The blond boy stared Sarutobi down, before his eyes slipped to the baby in his arms.

"I'm not sure you know what you're asking of me". The baby moved in his arms, but did not make a sound. "Taking care of a baby is difficult... You're a young boy...".

Minato clenched his fists when he was met with the sorrowful gaze of the older man.

"You can't take him away from me... He's the only one I have left; My little brother...". His teeth grit together, various emotions heavily coating the words that left his lips. "Please". Sky-blue eyes clenched shut as he said the plea so softly, it was almost like a whisper. "I have nothing else... No one...".

The Hokage leaned back in his seat as he thought things over.

The boy before him was a rising prodigy in his class... One set to graduate the academy earlier than the other kids his age... He knew how to take care of himself and his brother while their parents were out on missions.

And they were out of the village a lot.

He was already used to it...

"Alright". Sarutobi said out loud, snapping the boy back to reality. His clear-blue eyes glistened with unshed tears as he processed the words over and over again. Then, a smile so bright lit up his features and Sarutobi knew...

He had made the right decision.

"Hokage! You can't-!" One of the adults in the room tried to protest, but they were immediately shut up when the older man looked at them. Sarutobi stood up, gently cradling the baby in his arms, and walked up to the blond boy.

"I have a feeling he's a quiet one, am I wrong?" Minato impatiently reached forward to take Aizen from him. Sarutobi smiled at the sight of his happy face once the little one was back in his arms.

Minato brought Aizen closer to his chest and looked up at the older man.

"No, you're not". He answered, placing his chin atop the baby's hair which mirrored his own. Ah... His heart throbbed inside his chest.

Their parents...

Aizen will only know how they look because of their photos back at home. To think that his little brother won't even remember them brought a great deal of pain to Minato.

"You should get going now... It's getting late". The blond boy looked up at the Hokage when he heard him speak. He was right... It was getting late, the sun had already gone down.

He nodded and turned around, but did not move.

"Where are our parent's bodies?" Sarutobi heard the boy ask. Then, round blue eyes peeked over Minato's shoulder and Sarutobi found himself frozen in place. "Hokage?" The older boy turned around to face him and only then, was Sarutobi freed from the binds of those eyes.

"I'm sorry... We weren't able to recover them". It pained him to deliver the news like this... It pained him to see the heartbroken look on the boy's face. It pained him to see how he took a deep breath to calm himself.

"I see...". Minato mumbled out and walked through the office door.

Aizen won't even be able to visit their graves.

_

Minato trekked through the empty streets of Konoha, looking down at the dimly lit ground. Aizen shifted in his arms and Minato pulled back to look at him. Those bright eyes of his stared at Minato in unawareness, in total obliviousness...

In total innocence.

"I'm sorry". He whispered and Aizen gave no reaction to his apology. "I'm sorry you're stuck with me". Aizen tilted his head, a giggle leaving his little plump lips. He reached a chubby hand forward and grabbed Minato's bangs, pulling on them. The older boy closed his eyes as a tremble racked his body.

It hurt... They lost their parents... It hurt...

No mom... No dad...

Just the two of them.

Alone.

"Mama!" Aizen exclaimed and immediately laughed after that. "Mama!" He excitedly clapped his little hands and Minato looked at him. "Mama!" He repeated once more, staring at Minato.

It was then, that something clicked inside the young boy's mind.

That's right...

They were together...

They had each other...

And Minato will be whatever Aizen needed him to be.

A brother... A mother... A father... A friend...

"I will never leave your side... I will forever protect you from all the bad in this world... I will protect you until my last breath". Aizen's blue eyes twinkled in the dead of night.

"I promise".