A heart's flaw ~ Age 12

Time passed in a flurry of fallen leaves and snow covered ground.

He could say that that time wasn't wasted on nothing.

Unfortunately, Team 7 was away on a mission during Kakashi's 11th birthday, so Aizen missed the chance to wish him a happy one. He really hoped that the six of them, including Minato and Kushina, could spent it together with him.

Kushina had been insistent on making a surprise party for him once he comes back, and Aizen had agreed with her.

It sure would be a surprise.

And it sure was.

In more ways than one.

_

Flashback

"They're coming!" Kushina exclaimed, pushing Aizen inside as she quietly closed the door behind them. Minato had a habit of bringing his team back to his house after a not-so-intense mission since Aizen rather liked their company.

"Hurry and get the cake, I'll get the lighter!" He said as he made a run towards the kitchen. As expected, the lighter was on the table, innocently lying there. Making a grab for it, he slid on his feet as he rounded the corner back to Kushina.

She held a quite simple looking chocolate cake. Aizen had a feeling that Kakashi wasn't a big sweets lover, but a cake was something which was essential for a birthday. There was no way they weren't making one.

It had taken a while to get it right, but he and Kushina managed to perfect it.

He was proud of his skills.

"The door is opening!" Kushina whisper-shouted, "One! Two! Three!" She counted down and as silver hair filled their vision, the two of them stepped from behind the wall, cake clearly seen in Kushina's hands.

"Kakashi! Happy birthday!" The two of them yelled at the same time, identical grins on their faces.

The boy, along with the rest of his team, stood still with their eyes wide.

Aizen could see that Kakashi was surprised at the sight of them. Somehow, he could see a hint of something akin to grief flash across his features, but it was gone as soon as it appeared.

"Come on, blow out the candles!" Aizen urged him as he reached forward and took him by the wrist, "Come on!" He repeated, pulling him towards the cake.

Kakashi, too caught off guard, could do nothing but listen to him.

"Make a wish!" With that, Kakashi blew the candles out, not a single one remaining lit.

Aizen didn't realise that he still held Kakashi's hand as he threw his hands in the air, a light cheer leaving his lips.

"You're awfully excited." Minato commented, stepping closer to the two boys.

The younger blond nodded, grin ever so present, "I am, aren't I?" He asked, glancing at Kakashi, "Were you surprised?" He tilted his head, not knowing why Kakashi wasn't saying anything.

In a moment's time, he remembered that he still held his hand. With a quiet 'oh', leaving his lips, he released him and stepped back.

"I was." Kakashi spoke after a moment, awkwardly clenching his fist.

Aizen saw the answer as a success. He hurriedly turned to Kushina, an even more excited smile on his face, "Did you hear that? He was surprised!" He jumped towards her, grabbing her free hand his own as he swung them side to side, "He was surprised!"