a day to be happy ~ Age 14

When morning came and when the light pierced the glass windows, when the birds sang their merry song and when the crickets joined in the choir, when the sky was clear and when the breeze was soft, when there was nothing on his mind except the realisation that he woke up to a new day, came the news that he should've been happy about.

"Minato and I decided the wedding date," Kushina spoke from the doorway, body lightly leaned against the side, "It's tomorrow."

Tomorrow. Tomorrow. Tomorrow. Tomorrow. Tomorrow.

"You're officially joining the family, eh?" He asked, turning to fully face her, "Congratulations, Kushina-nee." His lips quirked up and he watched as her own trembled at the sight.

She nodded, stiffly, and leaned away from the door, "Thanks!" The way she said it sounded forced, but that was to be expected when faced with a smile that wasn't genuine.

Then, as she slipped out and closed the door, Aizen lowered his head and let out a deep sigh.

It was time for him to move out.

_

"They're getting married tomorrow."

The water felt cool on his bare feet.

"Didn't you already know that was coming?" Came the answer, "I mean... they were engaged for a while and she had moved in with you."

Yes, yes he knew—of course he did. It was inevitable, it happening, that is.

"I guess so..." Gently, he outstretched his leg and watched as the water drops dripped down his skin and back into the sparkling lake.

A hand pressed onto his shoulder and he was met with lavender irises, "You're going, aren't you?" Hikaru asked, staring intently at him, "You know who else is going to be there."

Who... else?

Oh.

Turning away, he once again looked at the sparkling water, "I can't stop him."

The hand on his shoulder tightened, "You mean you don't want to stop him—you want him to come," Something heavy coated Hikaru's words, something Aizen understood very, very well.

Without a second thought, he found himself replying, "Why are you bringing this up when you know what I'll say?" Intensely, he stared straight at the other boy, "Do you need to hear the words from me? Hear me say that yes, I want him to come, that yes, I want to see him?" The hand on his shoulder slipped off as the words left him, "Answer me, Hikaru."

Pain, that was all Aizen could see in the boy's expression, pure unadulterated pain.

Longing. Something whispered at the back of his mind, but he pushed the words aside.

"Yes..." Came the ever so quiet reply, "... sorry."

Sorry...?

What should he say to that? Hey, don't apologise, I know why you did it. Why did he do it? Because he feels for him what Aizen feels for Kakashi? That feeling was known to both of them—both of them knew of the silent affections Hikaru bore for him, it wasn't hard to see.

Still... Aizen could never throw those feelings back at him, he cared for Hikaru, he truly did, but not in the way he would've wanted.

Instead, he turned away and tore his gaze away from him.

The water sparkled beneath his feet.

_

He stood before the mirror, shakily buttoning his shirt.