a person's nature ~ Age 14

His time was running out.

Two days remained until his birthday and he still did not manage to combine his Wind Nature with the Rasengan. He tried, he really, really tried, but it just wasn't working. Sometimes, he would get close, so close that he would feel the relief within himself, just to feel it disappear as the Rasengan grew unstable.

His hand was trembling at that point, his chakra too spent and his body too tired to continue.

"Damn it..." he mumbled out, feeling disappointed in himself. Why couldn't he do it...? He knew how, but it wasn't that easy in the end, it was much, much harder than he thought possible.

What the hell was he doing for the past month? There was little to no improvement during that time.

How was he supposed to be a shinobi like that?

_

"Hey, what am I supposed to do?"

There was no answer, but it wasn't like he expected one.

"Things aren't working out for me, are they?"

The ground was cold, the white, white, white snow melting and seeping into his clothes.

"I don't know what to do... and everything is just getting worse and worse."

He found himself not minding the coldness.

"Am I the one to blame for everything?"

Maybe.

"Should I just... stop?"

Maybe.

"Should I... give up on everything?"

Maybe.

"Hey... can you answer me?"

No.

"Hey, can you tell me something—anything?"

Silence.

"I'm lonely."

So, so lonely.

The bark felt rough against his cheek, but he didn't move away, unwilling to do so. Coldness spread through his body, but the worst of it collected inside his chest, "Hey, Obito?" The tall, leafless cherry tree lightly swayed in the prickling wind, replying only with the screech of its bending branches, "Spring is coming back soon... so why can't you come back along with it?"

There was no answer.

_

Kushina's reaction to his state of being wasn't a good one.

With tight grips, she pulled him inside, "Why are you wet?!" Worry coated her words as she dragged him straight to the bathroom, her hold not loosening at all, "Take it off and take a shower, I'll bring you a change of clothes." Without another word, she left, leaving him in the white, white bathroom.

Nausea swirled in the pit of his stomach and he closed his eyes.

A year had passed—a full year—and he still could not erase the stained whiteness from his mind, could he?

With shaky hands, he slowly took off his clothes, before he threw them in the bin under the sink. There was a light knock a few moments later and the door opened, but only Kushina's hand came through, "Here." Clothes hung from her fingers.

Not saying anything, he took them and watched as the door slipped shut.

_

It took him a bit to properly dress himself, since his hand wasn't quite cooperating with him, but when he was done with the shower, he came out fully dressed. The shirt was long on him, but as it was one of his brother's old ones he had taken a while back, it was to be expected.